Coleen Hoffmeister
Coleen Hoffmeister, Home Health Care
Experience:  Grandmother
138144

Severe Pain in Left rib Cage .w/ loose bowel movement

Customer Question

I am having severe pain under my left rib cage with direaha and some severe pain. The pressure under my rib cage has always been there for over 12 years but now getting unbearable . They said I had a slightly swollen sleen about 4 years ago, But recently I have been breaking out in sweats and drinking water but still feeling thirsty .. then if I do not get food on time I shake uncontrolable and get into one ( B* ithcy feast screaming ... then once I eat I am shaking and soon my temper is over but during this time i have sever pains in left side I feel like a balloon is under my ribs and getting pinched off . what can this be . Please help me/ I have no medical insurance but are going to try to get some so I can see a doc soon.
Category: Health
Expert:  Coleen Hoffmeister replied 11 years ago.
You could have irritable bowel syndrome. You need to watch your diet really close for awhile.

You also could have hypoglycemia (sp may be off). I had this for 12 years or more also. I didn't get rid of it until I finally got a doctor to listen to me and give me something to calm my stomach and bowels down.   There is no easy cure and it takes a while of working with your diet to get yourself in better shape.

Here are my suggestions until you get some insurance and can go to the doctor. But this is not a cure-all. Later you will need to get medical care. And, if it persists, you need to consistently check with Ask a Nurse (or something similar in your area - call 411 and ask for a number - all areas have it).

First, eat on a regular basis, just as if you had an ulcer - which is not out of the question here. You don't have to eat bland foods, but stay away from rich or spicy foods for awhile.

To check for lactose intolerance, take milk out of your diet for a week or two. This will be harder than you think. NO cereal, no milk in your coffee, etc. No ice cream (that killed me). Use Soy Milk or another non-milk if you have to have some sort of milk. Stay away from cheeses for awhile. IF this doesn't clear it up in a few weeks, then you may not be lactose intolerant.

Don't eat too much at one sitting. Eat light and then a few hours later a snack.

Go to the store and find a tea called "Traditional Medicinals." It's in your natural food section. Look in a HyVee or Price Chopper or something similar in your area. Find one that is for stomach problems. YOu can drink it cold or hot, but I prefer hot (Not too hot) with a little bit of milk in it.

I know this is so uncomfortable you can't hardly tolerate it at times. You also might get a tape called "A.M. Yoga" by Rodney Yee. It is a miracle worker. If you can't find it in a store, look on the internet under Gaiam. It does't cost much. Do it every day for a week and you will never be able to do without it again. It is not hard Yoga, it is just stretching and meditating.

I hope this helps and if you need further information, please let me know.