Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

skin condition..itchy..also one leg below the knee on one side solid

Customer Question

skin condition breaks out in itchy sores in clothing covered areas. also one leg below the knee on one side solid. Years ago she had a similer condition-her doctor said it was food alergies. This time no food alergies showed up. doctor doesn't know what causes it. Her panties and clothes have small holes in them where the sores are. Her itch gets worse at times for no apparent reason. She can eat peanut butter and it makes her sores worse, but she can also be outside for a while and it gets worse, but only sometimes. We have outside dogs and one outside cat. Never near the cat, but near where the cat lives. Cats definitely make her sting and itch.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

It sounds to me like this person has many allergies. Usually when we have a patient that has redness and bumps or hives that itch just in the area of their clothing - it means that they are allergic to something that their clothing is coming into contact with, ie: detergent, bleach (dry/liquid), fabric softener, or maybe her clothing did not rinse very well...maybe the clothing itself if it was new and had not been washed yet, or anything else you might be adding to the laundry. Usually when someone ingests something that they are allergic to...the symptoms will be "systemic" - or all over the body, like hands, face or feet... Not just where her clothing is, or in one certain area. If it is something she has gotten into, then it would only be found in the areas where there was contact...ie: poison ivy, different types of deodorant or latex. If she gets any worse she may need a shot of steroids before she'll get to feeling better. You didn't mention if you had or not but...she may need to see an allergy doc to find out exactly what all she "is" allergic to. Warm Aveno baths may help to soothe her itchy skin, and a dose of benedryl will help her to feel more comfortable also, while helping her to rest and not be up all night itching.

I'm not sure if I have helped you any or not. Good Luck to you both - you are in my prayers.