Vickie
Vickie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  7 years exp. on surgical floor, plus many other areas, Emergency Medical tech, 19 yrs total medical.
50711

GABA

Customer Question

I have just ordered a weight loss product called dream scape, it has Gamma aminobutyric acid in it says the servins size is 3 capsules and each serving size is 2 grams. Do you think it is safe to take this and it also says after the first week some people begin taking 5-10 capsules until they reach their desired wight, is that safe?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I guess I just want a better answer, on if it is safe for people to take what they are recommending, I am not a person who takes any sort of medication, and if there are any side effects for this type of stuff
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
I guess I just hoped their was someone out there that knew a little more about supplements and could tell me if the amount they are saying to take is safe or even if taking the GABA is safe.
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer
Anytime a product wants you to start taking that huge of a dose, one thing should pop into your mind...scam. There is no product proven by the FDA to facilitate weight loss. Only by behavior therapy like using a smaller plate, choosing better foods and drinking more water are you assured success. I don't tell you this as a thin person, I was 242, now I am 160. Make a deal with yourself that you will do these things, along with not eating after 6 pm and the weight will melt off, I promise! Good luck to you, once you get started, you will be forever thin! P.S. Send that bottle of pills back, you CAN do this!!!!
Expert:  Vickie replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

Here is a little bit of information I have found on your diet aid. Just remember dear, and I am sure that you already know, but most of these diet aids are not FDA approved, and very little testing if any is ever done concerning the "results" they are trying to sell you...In fact what you will usually see is..."Results Not Typical".

GABA is a non-essential amino acid which functions as an inhibitory calming neurotransmitter in your brain. It is found in high concentrations only in your brain & eyes. It can be derived from protein foods or manufactured in your body from glutamic acid.

GABA is usually deficient in both clinical & experimentally induced seizures. Low levels of GABA promote excitatory neurotransmitters. Low GABA levels have been found in the brains of patients with multiple sclerosis, action tremors, tardive dyskinesia, & other disorders of movement. Low GABA levels have been found in panic, anxiety, depression, alcoholism, & bipolar disorders.

Vitamin B6, manganese, taurine, & lysine can increase the synthesis & effects of GABA.

Potential uses of GABA :

• May reduce symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.
  • May reduce symptoms of anxiety.
  • May help some schizophrenics.
  • May help to reduce high blood pressure.
  • May increase the effect of insulin so is useful for diabetics but not for hypoglycemia.
  • May suppress appetite.
  • May help with premenstrual symptoms.
  • Helpful for some cases of depression.

DIRECTIONS: No more than 1 capsule at a time up to 2-3 times daily with at least 5 hr intervals between doses. Take on an empty stomach, but with 1 pyridoxal-5-phosphate, and do not take with alcohol.

I am posting you a link for any other questions you may have. I hope this has helped you some.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/

factsheet_030802.htm

Good Luck to you, and choose wisely.