AnnlynnRN
AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
64436

chronic lung disease treatment

Whould a doctor prescribe smz/tmp as a preventative med 3x's a week for chronic lung disease associated only with pneumocystis type? Or are there other types of chronic lung disease for which this med would be prescribed for on a preventative dosage?

DearCustomer

Usually for adults, the dosing is 800 mg. of sulfamethoxazole and 160 mg. of trimethoprim (SMZ/TMP) once a day for prevention of PCP (Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.)

In answer to your first question...yes, a doctor would be acting appropriately in prescribing smz/tmp as a preventative for PCP three times a week.  It is with infants and children that the preventative dose for PCP is based on body size (which is determined by the doctor.)  There are several dosing regimens.  One regimen is what you mentioned in your post, and consists of 375 mg. of sulfamethoxazole and 75 mg. of trimethoprim per square meter of body surface twice a day, three times a week for three consecutive days in a row.

SMZ/TMP has other uses such as for urinary infections, middle ear infections, prostatitis, pneumonitis, and bronchitis.

Pneumonitis and bronchitis are other types of lung infections.  Both can be chronic, however it is not likely to be prescribed SMZ/TMP for preventative use for these infections as the drug can be toxic to the kidneys and risks of blood disorders.

Please write back if you need further clarification.   

AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to AnnlynnRN's Post: My father which is on social security disability for this reason is living with me, but is very vague on his health condition. I have been researching his treatment with this medication and his doctor has prescribed this Rx for him to take every Mon, Wed, and Friday and has given him 99 refills for the entire year. I am afraid that he is terminally ill with possibly HIV after my research. He has told me that he has been told that he has chronic lung disease. To my understanding, this medication on a preventative regimen is only likely to treat a pneumocystis carinii pneumonia which is related only to HIV. Is this correct or is this type of pneumonia associated with other lung problems? I hope you can help and I understand that this is not a definite diagnosis without all facts and only a probable cause. I am concerned and worried about him. Please help.

DearCustomer

I am so sorry for what you must be going through.  I wish I could
give you better news, but you seem to have done your homework and you
are correct.

PCP (pneumocystis carinii pneumonia) is a common organism that may
reside harmlessly in normal, "healthy" lungs and usually only causes
disease when the body's immune defenses are weakened due to cancer,
treatment of cancer, or AIDS.

More than 80% of AIDS patients who DO NOT receive prophylactic
(preventative) treatment develop PCP at some time.  Often, it is
the first indication that a person with HIV has developed into
AIDS.  On a more positive note, your father is taking the
appropriate preventative medication, smz/tmp (sulfamethoxazole -
trimethoprim) to prevent PCP. 

Although this medication can also be used for urinary tract infections, ear infections, prostatitis, and bronchitis, etc,  the dosing regimen your father is taking (three times a week) is highly indicitive of the preventative treatment for PCP.

I am so sorry.  I can hear the desperation for a glimmer of hope
in your post, and I wish I could give you that.  Michelle, your
father is most likely protecting you by not being up front with his
illness.  Talk to him.  Tell him you understand what is going
on, and encourage him to share with you the truth about his
illness.  It must be very scary and lonely for him to deal with
all of this by himself.  And you are obviously scared, too. 

I will do some searching for support groups for patients and families
affected by HIV and AIDS and send them to you in my next post. 
You need to have support for yourself so that you can help support your
father.  My prayers are with you.  Please feel free to write
back any time for questions, answers, a shoulder to cry on, or an ear
to listen.  I'll write back soon when I find some info for
you.      God
Bless,       AnnlynnRN

DearCustomer

I did not have much luck finding support groups in your area, however I
did find some phone numbers for you that can point you in the right
direction and offer resources available to both you and your father:

Indiana AIDS Hotline: 1-(800)-848-2437

National AIDS Hotline: 1-(800) 342-AIDS

I hope you take advantage of the above hotline
numbers.  They are experts who can offer you a wealth of
information, provide you with support groups in your area, and teach
you ways to cope with the difficult road that lies ahead.  Perhaps
you can call the support hotlines above before speaking with your
father so you can be better prepared.  Whatever you decide, you
will be in all of our thoughts and prayers.  Please write back and
let us know how you are doing.  God Bless.    
AnnlynnRN

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help and I already expected this answer, but I think I still need time now to process the news. Thanks again and will keep you posted.