Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

back has times it gets real hot feeling, youcan feel it by touching it

Customer Question

i have back and hip & leg trouble. I have times my back gets real hot. It is right now. Is this something i should be concerned with. I cant afford medical coverage at this time. I would appreciate your opinion.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vickie replied 9 years ago.

Dear greentree,

Have you had any accidents or falls lately? How long has your back been "burning"...and is it in the same area every time?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: vicki thank you for replying. I was in a accident about 8 years ago. i didnt go to the hospital. i rolled over a yukon blazer in the winter. only my knees hurt terrible after the accident. the burning in my back just started maybe 4 weeks ago. but i have been having worse prblems with my back over the past 3 years. i cant afford insurance right now for myself, i have 3 kids that do have insurance. i wish someone could tell me if i could have a serious problem or arthiritis. i get cramps in my right buttocks and my legs feel like i have to make them walk alot lately. i can sleep only on my left hip because of my back and hip problem. i also cant hold my arms up for very long. i have a hard time brushing my 3yr. olds hair and putting it in ponytales. i am only 35 yr.old. i have my pretty decent days and my terrible days. i hope you can help me just try to find out what it could possibly be. i am scares cause like i said i have three kids and sometimes i do have a difficult time. i would also like to add i cant sit for long and i have to sit on my side not on my butt. and i cant stand in one spot long. thank you so much for any input you might have.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
thank you for your opinion. but i didnt feel it helped me any. i know what you said. but i was looking towards a response somewhere along the line of some one telling me what could cause these problems i have. i dont know how to cancel payment i am new to this. but 5 dollars is alot to me and i didnt ask for that type of advice. thank you for your support. i cant afford to get this type of advice all the time. and i dont normally believe this type of stuff but i thought id give it a try. and i have tried to see what was offered by the state and county. i dont qualify they say.
Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear greentree,

What part of Michigan are you in?  I'd like to help you find an
affordabe health care plan available for your area.  Just give the
nearest city, and I will do my best to find you a reputable place to
have your problem addressed.  It sounds like a neuro problem.
And yes...there is low-cost or sometimes free health care that is very
reputable.  In the meantime, I will look around the state of
Michigan to find low-cost or no-cost health coverage for you. 
Best wishes.  Please try to give me somewhere close to you so I
can narrow something down to meet your needs.~~~~~~~~~~ 
AnnlynnRN

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to AnnlynnRN's Post: annlynn thank you for your respond. the closest big city is flint and owosso. thank you for the opinion of nuero problem. i have paid to go to the dr. but they dont do the billing thing and i cant afford the xrays. i am not a slow pace person i like to stay busy. the problems in my arms are getting so worse, it is starting to scare me. it feels like someone is shoving them down after i have only had them up for a few starting my daughters ponytale. my back is progressively getting worse. my left knee give out alot. i cant get up using that knee theres no strength and it shoots pains. i have trouble from the neck down. but like i said every days different. the bottom of my back has me really concerned. i havent slept good in about 2 years and now i sleep only a couple hours at a time during the night. if you can find out where i could go for help i would really appreciate it. i know what ever it is isnt gonna just go away, for a while there i was wondering if i had arthritis and was gonna try some arthritis pills. but im not one to pop anything so i never got any. thank you so much for your time it is deeply appreciated.
Expert:  Vickie replied 9 years ago.

Dear Greentree,

I know that hind site is 20-20, but you really should have went to the hospital for x-rays after your accident. I really have no doubt that the trouble you are having is directly related to the accident you had years ago. I am unfortunately, able to say this because I did the same thing. I had an accident several years ago to where I was knocked out for a short time. I awoke, said that I was feeling fine, and against my family's wishes did not go to the doctor. After some time I started having some of the exact problems you are describing. I also could not hold my hands above my head even long enough to put in my own pony tail. So started my search for what was going on with me. I went to SEVERAL doctors that gave me a diagnosis of everything from being "depressed"...to having "systemic Lupus". Finally, after years of pain, numbness and burning, I quit going and figured that this is just how I was going to be.  I knew in my heart that all of those doctors were wrong. I moved back to my home town, went back to my same ole doctor that I had went to for years (thinking that he was not a very good doctor for "Important" stuff), in passing told him about my problems, and his eyes got big, had me describe the problems again and sent me straight out for an MRI. He had the results sent back to him quickly and within a few days I was sitting in the office of a neurologist. I had a loop of spinal cord that was outside the c-5 and c-6 vertebrae in my neck. I was immediately scheduled for surgery...wound up with spinal cord damage, degeneration of my spine, permanent numbness and tingling in my hands, burning in my shoulder, and pain in my back. Over the years I have been to other neurologists to see if there is any surgery that can take away the pain that I go through every day. I have had other MRI's, Mylegram's, and other testing, for them to say that the damage is now permanent because I waited to long to go to the doctor. I am now on a fentanyl patch, hydrocodone and carisoprodol every day, and my life revolves around doctors appointments and pharmacy's closing times. And I have 9 children.  6 of which are still at home. Dear, I hate to see you go through this because I have been there, and am there now. I am making this a free post, keep your five dollars, and do what ever you can do to get to a doctor that is going to listen to you. I don't know anything about Michigan, but I do know that there will be someone out there that will see you and help you to get the care you need. You are going to have to get on the phone or on the internet, and see what is available to your area. If you have to go out of town, do that. You want to go to a bigger hospital where they have neurology patients on a daily basis.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know as I will be glad to help if I can.

Good Luck to you, You are in my prayers.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Vickie's Post: vicki, thank you so much. you about had me in tears. its good to hear someone believe what i say. you have to be a strong woman to deal with this pain, a job and 9 kids. i am facing a seperation with my husband and with the kids schedules, i am having a hard time figuring out how to get a full time job. i dont have any family willing to help. thank you so much. your like god sent. maybe if i can just get into a neurologist and get examed i might get farther than just a regular dr. i wish you the best. thank you so much. when i find something out i will be sure to let you know. by the way did they tell you what makes it feel hot? that just seems that shouldnt be to good. again i cant thank you enough. you have a friend here!!
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 9 years ago.
Dear Greentree,
Constant, chronic pain is a terrible load to bear. I have a neurological disorder called polyneuropathy...it makes my feet hurt and I feel like I have been hit in the shins with a ball bat. I am now in remission, but off work with a frozen shoulder.
Elavil is good for pain. Although it is an anti-depressant, it has been shown to block off nerve endings. This may give you some relief. Ask your family Dr. In the meatime, I agree with Vickie, please see if you can get to a Neurologist. You are in my most positive thoughts and prayers! Don't give up!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Delores Casso's Post: delores, i am so touched by the wonderful people i am reaching on this connection. you and vicki are like god sent. when you dont have alot of friends and you spend alot of time at home, its nice to hear opinions and help from caring people. i sure hope you can find some relief for your pain. what is polyneuropathy? every day i have my oldest daughter push on my back to see if she can get it to crack and feel a little better, but it doesnt help much but it does feel good her pushing on it sometimes. aint it funny how some people just dont understand how bad it hurts and how it effects our everyday schedules. from brushing our teeth to going to the grocery store. i cant drive for a long distance without my back and butt killing me. i would say after about 20 minutes of sitting, i am in pain. right now it is all through my right side. My back really hurts after i sit to long. like right now so i better get up and get my daily routine going. thank you for everything and take care.
Polyneuropathy is a painful condition where the mylein that surrounds the spinal cord and the nerve endings are damaged for some reason. My reason is/was unknown. Do you have a support group in your area for people who live with chronic pain? Please do not isolate yourself. Even if it's a hobby, a club that you enjoy...anything to get you out and about...something that you can afford, please do it. See about the Elavil to start...it does help and it's very inexpensive. Just do not carry this burden yourself. Check with every resource you can think of, hospitals, mental health clinics, anywhere for a support group. There may even be chat rooms on the net for people with chronic pain, but I think you need one -on one support. God Bless :)
Expert:  Vickie replied 9 years ago.

Dear greentree,

Oh My Goodness...PLEASE, do NOT let your daughter "crack" or "Pop" your back!!!!! If by some weird chance you are like me, and have a loop of spinal cord bulging from in between your vertebrae, you could be paralyzed for life! Believe me, I know it hurts, and I definitely feel your pain. It is hard when you have had everything done possible, let alone when you haven't yet. You need to see a Neurologist - and asap. You still have a good chance of being helped. I went to only one appointment before I was scheduled for surgery. Hopefully you will not be like me, and get a good one the first time off! Try hard dear to gather your information, and make a good pick, get everything you can out of each appointment, stand up for yourself, and don't let them say or do anything you don't agree with. Research...Research. Now you have a starting point, and I will always be here for you. KNOW YOUR PROBLEM... print off pages from the internet and take them with you for "back up". One of the first things they teach you in ANY medical profession...is to LISTEN to your patient - they will sometimes know more about their own condition than you...And if you find a good doctor...he will.  Sometimes others don't understand that when they talk about "affordable payments", that THAT'S not even affordable. Another thing that you might think about, that one of the surgeons spoke of...which you will have to see your doc first...is your disability. I haven't done it yet because I am a "hard head", but because you are by yourself, and all of the problems, I feel pretty sure that you would get it. I should, and probably will eventually - my husband tells me I should almost daily.

Dee, you have my email, PLEASE dear, stay in touch and keep me informed! You have a friend and sister indeed...and I will be thinking about you, and keep you in my prayers. I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX GET DISCOURAGED!!! remember you haven't been helped yet- and there are new procedures every day. Take care, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 9 years ago.

Dear Greentree,

I sent you a private message with the following link:

http://www.genesys.org/Internet/General/INK.nsf/0/f08e2a4c5accbd7985256fdc004ba852?OpenDocument

I also sent you a copy of the page from the link in a separate private message.  Please check this out.  It is called "COVER THE UNINSURED EXPO" and it is held on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 from 1p.m. to 8 p.m. at:

First Presbyterian Church,   746 S. Saginaw Street in Flint, Michigan.  You can call for more info at:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/P>

Services include free health screenings and resources available to the uninsured along with free advice from doctors and pharmacists on site.  I gave you all the details in the private message I sent you or you can just click on the above link.

This sounds like a great place to start.  Hopefully you can get some help obtaining health insurance.  Your problem NEEDS to be addressed by a health care professional.   Please follow up and let us know how you make out.  We are all here for you.  Best wishes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AnnlynnRN

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
annlynn, thank you so much for the information. i will for sure be going and calling on the phone with the information you have given me. i will let you know as soon as i hear anything. thank you so much for that very needed information. you cant imagine how happy it made me feel to read your letter. i am going to call this afternoon, i will let you know what they say. thank you
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
vicki, wow thats kinda scary about my daughter cracking my back. ok i wont let her do it any more. i have had headaches for a week straight and the tylenol and motrin just aint helping much. i have a number to call today hopefully i can find something out. i will forsure let you know what i find out. thank you for being there for me. you cant imagine what a wonderful person i think you are. well my kids are up and adam so i better go for now. i'll forsure let you know what i find out today.
Expert:  Vickie replied 9 years ago.

Dear Dee,

Thanks for your email the other day, It was so sweet of you! Yes I would be very anxious to hear what you find out. No dear, I'm sorry but the plain Tylenol and motrin are going to get to the point to where they do nothing at all. Eventually you will need something stronger to help. I am so glad that we have been able to help you, you are in my thoughts every day, and I think that you are a pretty special person also. I have been waiting to hear from you. About "popping" your back...at least wait till you have some testing done and find out what is going on inside before you attempt that again. My doctor told me that if I had done that, it would have paralyzed me for life. Since we are not absolute on what you have going on...better safe than sorry if ya know what I mean!

Take care babe, and stay in touch.

You are in my thoughts and prayers...