Sue
Sue, Acupuncturist and Herbalist
Experience:  Licensed in two States
123736

MRI Results

Customer Question

I recently had an MRI done and my results showed The uterus absent. (Which it should I’ve had a hyst.) But it states there is a 3.2 x 2.2 cm lesion of elevated T2 signal occupying a significant portion of the left ovary. Smaller follicular cysts are seen within the left ovary. The right ovary is diminutive. Can you explain to me what this means?
Category: Health
Expert:  Sue replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer

Your gyno will follow up with you about the "3.2 x 2.2 cm lesion on the left ovary" to rule out ovarian cancer. The rest of the results are normal.

Did your doctor feel an enlarged ovary in a pelvic exam or have you complained of pain on that side? Most of the time it's a benign cyst. Try not to worry. Why did you have the hyst? When's your next appointment?

I hope that I ansered you question.

Sincerely,

Sue

Sue, Acupuncturist and Herbalist
Experience: Licensed in two States
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sue's Post: I had an MRI of my spine for back pain problems and the MRI showed this result of my Uterus or what use to be a uterus. I had bad periods and had 2 children and wanted it removed. I was in my late 20's when I had the surgery. Can you tell me what the T2 signal means? i guess this is what has me concerned the most.
Thanks
Kimberly
Expert:  Sue replied 11 years ago.
DearCustomer

The T2 signal is a signal that the (MRI) Magnetic Resonance Imaging equipment uses to create an image. That's the simple explanation. Still want more? I lifted this from a medical textbook:

"Image contrast refers to the characterization of tissues using shades of gray. An MR image may look like a photograph that has been taken of our bodies, but it is important to remember that the images are simply a grayscale that a computer has applied to the varying signal that our protons create when bombarded by RF pulses.

To obtain differently contrasted images (for better diagnosis and study) different pulse sequence parameters are varied (each of which contribute to the overall transverse signal that is received). Before we go any further, here are a few quick definitions, some of which we’ve already seen: ...
T1 = longitudinal relaxation time (innate to the tissue)
T2 = transverse relaxation time (innate to the tissue)...
The TE and TR are set when scanning and, for reasons we will see shortly, affect the contrast of the image. Effects from T1 and T2 relaxation times are opposite (because one affects the longitudinal relaxation and the other affects the transverse relaxation). This is a problem because many pathological conditions (i.e. Adema, imflamation, cystic and tumorous growths) increase T1 and T2 at the same time due to increases in free water in the area (remember that the hydrogen protons in water are the largest source of MR signal). The two signals can begin to cancel each other out and pathology can become invisible in the images produced! To prevent this, varying amounts of T1-weighted and T2-weighted scans are preformed. We will look a this technique shortly, but let’s start with the affects of proton density on our image acquisition..."

Whew! When you don't understand technical jargon, it can feel like you are groping in the dark.

Was the origin of the pain from your ovary? I hope your back was ok. You'll be fine, your gyno will follow this up with you.

Take Care.

Sincerely,

Sue