Jennifer Hamann
Jennifer Hamann, certified nursing assistant
Experience:  CNA, Current RN student
121781

hand..Headaches..my back..3 herniated Discs & pain down the right leg

Customer Question

I need to know if a Hard Fall could of caused a Collasped Disc in my lower back - When I got up, I had bruised my hand real bad & I was stiff & very sore, I was also having bad Headaches & some female polyps so I just related the aches & pains with all that. As time went on, the pain in my back just got worse & worse, I also have 3 herniated Discs & pain down the right leg. I just need to know if it could of been caused by the fall & the pain steadly getting worse. I had never had any problems with my back before the fall, except for 3 or 4 previous falls just not as bad. I am a 49 year old women
Category: Health
Expert:  Delores Casso replied 11 years ago.
Yes...a hard fall could cause disc compression in your back. The only way you can tell is to get an MRI. Many factors come into play, the way you fell, you said you already have a history. You are 49...have you been surgically menopaused and could you have thinned bones already? You need to get to a DR. ASAP and get an MRI.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Delores Casso's Post: I guess I wasn't very clear - I have already had an MRI, I know what I have, I just need to know if when I fell, I was stiff & sore but was still getting around, slowly, I was at work & I was doing alot of bending & going under machines & it just got worse & worse. I have had a Dr. say that A Fall with no pain, which I never said there was no pain, I was just having other issues & it took the Doctors awhile to listen to me about my back, the pain just got soo bad that I couldn't take it anymore. I was having my fellow employees cover for me, not knowing what I had until it got soo bad that I had to be taken off work. I had no idea that it was that bad.
Could I still get around for awhile after the fall if the fall caused the collasped Disc. I had never had any previous back problems, just aches & pains that I figured was old age.I fell hard right on my butt & fell back towards my back & put my hand down to try to catch myself.
Thanks.
Vicki
Expert:  Jennifer Hamann replied 11 years ago.
   If you already had a predisposition as shown by the three herniated discs a hard fall could have very well caused an already compromised disc to become compressed. It would be very unlikely to happen if your back were "healthy". It looks like the fall has caused a pre-existing comdition to worsen and deteriorate.