Yosemite Sam
Yosemite Sam, Freelance Researcher
Experience:  Certified First Responder, Personal Experience
114783

medical info

Customer Question

Is it possible to have nerve regeneration from surgiacal incompetence 13 years later.
Category: Health
Expert:  Yosemite Sam replied 11 years ago.
Nerve regeneration is possible, it is a very slow process and can take years. Or at least thats what my doctor has told me in relation to an issue I have.
Yosemite Sam, Freelance Researcher
Experience: Certified First Responder, Personal Experience
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Yosemite Sam's Post: In my case (if I can prove it) it would be thirteen (13 count em!) years. I had head surgery in 1993 prior to surgery I had 20-20 vision and exceptional eye hand coordination. Gradually after the surgery my eyesight diminished. My head, my face, parts of my neck and my right leg have been (numb from surgery for the last 13 years (My head was so numb I fell down the stairs, c racked my head open (again) fell unconscious -almost bled to death and all I remember thinking was "wow that hurt”. In 1997 I had back surgery because I started get such bad back pain and my leg was numb. I never connected the two until six months ago. All have the sudden my head started itching and I was able to feel parts of my head and suddenly hair growth like you wouldn't believe. All this after 13 years. What really blew my mind was (about three months ago) I was standing in the shower and I got this intense pain (it felt like an electrical current) shoot thru the top of my head and down my leg .It was so intense I almost passed out then I for the first time in (maybe) 13 years I could feel my leg and my right foot. That’s when it hit me -it was never my back - the numbness in my leg was (somehow) related to my head. Which means the surgeon that put my head back together may have been a little negligent. Since October various motor skills I had lost are returning, I have to think about various eye hand coordination skills I (now) realize had been totally lost, including critical balance skills and believe it or not I am able to stand in the sun for the first time since after the surgery and see without being blinded by the sunlight. Which is wonderful considering I had 202-20 vision 13 years ago. I had an MRI but no lesions were detected. I’m not convinced there is no connection. Its all too freaky but I have no idea where to go from here and I really need answers. If you are aware of any tests, medical practitioners that specialize in this sort of thing, anything please emails me [email protected] and follows up.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Yosemite Sam's Post: I apologize I didn't realize paying the fee closed the link for follow ups. Mr Jack of ALL Trades, your answer although encouraging is hardly worthy of the fee. PLease read my follow up and post reply.
Thanks very much
AJDavid
I have had a nerve function test, where they attach electrodes to certain points on your body and measure the flow of these impulses through your nerves. These exams were performed by my doc with the consultation with a neuroligist.

You may want to consult a lawyer that specializes in medical cases.

As for the fee I have no controll over that and I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

You don't have to pay for any responses if you do not feel the answer was helpful, and don't worry, it does not close your post for follow ups from other specialists.  I can't speak for other specialists who may reply, but I will offer only free posts to you.  What I would like is to ask for some clarification to see if I can offer you some more insight.

First of all, what kind of head surgery did you have 13 years ago?  Was it from a trauma, aneurysm...? 

(2)  How soon after that surgery did you start to experience the gradual loss of eyesight and numbness?  And what kind of treatment was done (if any) after that fall down the stairs?

(3)  What was the surgeon's response to your loss of neuro function?  Is it possible you suffered a stroke after surgery?

(4)  Have you continued regular evaluation and check ups with a neurologist since the initial surgery 13 years ago?  How about physical or occupational therapy?

(5)  What type of back surgery did you have in 1997?  Was it a fusion?  Did it help your back pain?

(6)  On what part of your body was this MRI done and when was it done?  No lesions was the only thing you were told?  Who read (or interpreted) the MRI?  Try to get the FULL report of the MRI. 

When nerve cells die, they do not regenerate.  Injured nerve cells, however can gain back some function to varying degrees depending on the patient and the extent of damage; usually with intense physical and/or occupational therapy.  So like you said, it is freaky and something doesn't sound right.

If you are not currently seeing a neurologist, I suggest you start right away.  Try to get a full report of that MRI.  Your neurologist can sort through this, and will have much better luck obtaining your old medical files than you would.  Ask for a referral to physical and/or occupational therapy.  I know you have regained so much on your own, but now is good time to start therapy to help you regain optimal function and to assure you don't inadvertently cause harm to yourself during this time.  Remember, it's been a long time since you've had this functioning back...don't take any chances of losing it. 

Please answer the best you can, and I will do my best to give you the best answers I can.  I'm so glad you are recovering.  Even after 13 years of this hell, you must feel pretty fortunate.  Who would have thought...........