xarqi
xarqi, Generalist
94965

2 rounds of antibiotics and still has strep, what can be done

Customer Question

child has had 2 rounds of antibiotics and still has strep, what can be done?
Category: Health
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Were the two rounds of treatment using the same antibiotic?
What was it/were they?
Was every dose taken and the course completed in each case?

Has a swab been cultured to determine the exact pathogen?
If not, it may not be bacterial in origin, and antibiotics will be
ineffective.

If it has been shown to be bacterial, it may be a resistant strain.
Either a different antibiotic could be tried, preferably one from a
family not susceptible to the same resistance mechanism as the
one(s) tried, or ideally, an antibiotic panel could be run against a
culture of the bacterium to determine what drug is likely to be
effective.
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I have suffered from strep throat since I was 8 years old  - not to give away my age -  however, over 30 years.

If your child has a fever, you should take him/her to emergency as soon as possible - or, you can contact your pediatrician.

Otherwise, it's important for your child to drink plenty of fluids (even though it's difficult to swallow) - you can start by giving your child a teaspoon of raw honey - which helps to soothe and comfort the throat - followed by cranberry juice and/or orange juice - (Vitamin C is important). Offer your child honey flavored throat lozenges - or any other such favored flavor - that's for children...if you can find natural herbal lozenges, that is even better.

Offer your child chicken soup, as that kills bacteria - and helps to soothe the throat. Hold off from feeding your child heavy meals for a few days due to the extreme pain and soreness of swallowing.

Plenty of purified drinking water is helpful - flushes out toxins.

You can even offer throat spray - to help soothe and comfort.

You can have your child gargle with warm salt water.....(place a pinch or two of salt in a glass of warm, purified water)....

If you live in a cold climate, be sure to use a scarf about your child's neck/throat area if he/she happens to be outside.

Please consult with your child's physician at your earliest convenience to bring this matter to his/her attention - it's possible the prescription may need to be changed.

My prayers and thoughts are with your child -

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
He was on Amoxil first and now he is finishing up Augmentin...but still complains that his throat is still hurting. Yes the dr. has done 2 throat swabs and both were positive very quickly. I was just wondering basically, what will be done if I take him back to dr. and he does still have strep after the Augmentin? Surely he won't just keep giving different antibiotics will he? I just kinda wanted to get someone elses advise so when I take him back to dr. tom. I will kinda know what to expect.

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Greetings:

Please see my response above.

As far as the prescription medication is concerned, you would need to consult with your son's pediatrician - he may have it refilled if your son still has the infection but that depends on the duration of treatment with this prescription - however, strep throat has lingering effects. Your son may experience soreness for at least a couple of weeks.

I'm sure your son is very uncomfortable - this condition makes one a little edgy - since, as stated, I developed it at the age of 8, and normally get it once a year - (for over 30 years), thus, I have found honey to be the best medicine, along with home made chicken soup - the soup really kills the infection....I always found to heal within a week.

My best to you and your son.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
The treatment that your son has received to date has been quite
correct.

The pathogen was identified as bacterial, amoxicillin was
prescribed, and when found ineffective, augmentin given. While
augmentin also contains amoxicillin, it is used when amoxicillin
resistance is suspected as it also contains clavulanate, which
defeats the beta-lactamase enzyme bacteria use to resist
amoxicillin.

If he still has a fever, it is a sign that there is still an active
infection and further treatment is indicated. In all
likelihood, however, the infection has been defeated by the
antibiotic treatment, and it may just take a few days for the
throat lining to settle down.   You could try using mild
analgesics like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc to alleviate any lingering
discomfort, or throat lozenges containing menthol or similar.

Should you return to your doctor, a further swab may be taken
to establish that the infection has indeed been eradicated. You
may be given a further prescription for a different antibiotic
(possibly an erythromycin), but that is likely only to be for use if
the new test still shows infection, thus saving you another trip to
the doctor. Practice varies in this respect though.