AnnlynnRN
AnnlynnRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN - 16 years in ICU & Critical Care (Cardiac, Neurology, Trauma, & Medical/Surgical ICU.)
64436

i am worried about my mom-she is a cancer survivor who recently had sr

Customer Question

I am concerned about my mom. she had major surgery about a month ago and almost instantly she developed a lump in her stomach. she went to the dr. and he said eat smaller portions and more often. is it possible they did something wrong during surgery? they operated on her belly because of having cancer-the whole where her feeding tube was started leaking food whenever she ate. so they cut her stomach lining and repaired the hole. what would it be? the lump is not where they operated.
Category: Health
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
This should be taken up immediately with the surgeon or
oncologist involved in the original surgery. If he/she/they are
not concerned about the lump, then neither should you be.

If you have only consulted your general practitioner or "family
doctor" over this, you should seek specialist advice as above.

Was it gastric(stomach) cancer for which she was treated?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to xarqi's Post: nO, IT WAS NOT GASTRIC CANCER. nOT STOMACHE CANCER AT ALL. IT WAS A LUMP IN HER THROAT. SHE CHECKED WITH HER DR. WHO DID THE SURGERY AND HE DID NOT CARE TOO MUCH. HE TOLD HER TO EAT SMALLER PORTIONS. MY MOM BARELY EATS AS IT IS. 2 COOKIES ARE ENOUGH TO BOTHER HER STOMACHE. DO YOU THINK SHE SHOULD GET A SECOND OPINION? SHE HURTS SO BAD MOST DAYS SHE CANT GET UP OFF HER SEAT AND HAS TO SLEEP IN HER RECLINER BECAUSE THE BED HURTS TO LAY FLAT. NOT NORMAL, RIGHT?
Expert:  xarqi replied 11 years ago.
Absolutely, you should seek a second opinion.

Although some post-operative discomfort is not unusual, that it
seems to be worsening, and is accompanied by a lump away
from the operation site are causes for concern.
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 11 years ago.

Greetings:

I'm very sorry about your mother's condition and her pain and suffering.

Please know that I'm a legal secretary/paralegal and I suggest that your mother consults with another physician in order for him/her to review any and all medical records - as well, I suggest contacting an attorney who specializes in medical malpractice - I've worked medical malpractice cases for 29 years in the State of California - and something doesn't sound right - but, the reports/records/notes must be reviewed properly by professionals in order for that to be determined..I'm just giving you suggestions here.

My very best to your mother - and to you...My prayers and thoughts are with you both - and your family.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Expert:  AnnlynnRN replied 11 years ago.

DearCustomer

I know this must be so overwhelming, especially considering the battle your mother has just had with cancer.  I hope I can give some insight.  I would like to ask a couple questions regarding your mother's experience in effort to give better advice:

(1)  How large is the lump?  Is it the size of a quarter, golf ball size, smaller, larger?  Try to give me a general idea of the size.  Has the lump gotton smaller or larger, harder or softer since removal of the tube? 

(2)  How long was her feeding tube in place?  It is not uncommon for scar tissue to form around a feeding tube depending on how long it has been in place.  Scar tissue is hard and doesn't have the elasticity of healthy skin.  That could be a reason why the tube was leaking in the first place.

(3)  What kind of feedings was she receiving through the tube?  Usually tube feedings are in the form of liquid or thickened liquids.  She may not be used to handling solid food after receiving only liquid feedings for quite some time.

(4)  Before removing the feeding tube, did the medical staff  slowly start giving her soft foods BY MOUTH to get her used to having semi-solid foods in her stomach?

(5)  When you say she is experiencing discomfort, does it also occur after eating?  How does she tolerate fluids?

(6)  Does the operative site still have any leaking of blood or other kind of drainage?   Is there any sign of infection at the site (redness, leaking of pus, foul odor?)

My main concern is that she is that lying down causes discomfort.  Please answer my questions as best as you can.  Especially my 1st question and my 6th question.  I will be looking for your reply.  I hope your mother feels better soon.  Best Wishes