Cheryl
Cheryl, Medical Assistant
Experience:  Health care certified
73767

I hurt my neck when I took a bump on a flat surface without warming

Customer Question

I am a pro wrestler. I hurt my neck when I took a bump on a flat surface without warming up. My neck has been hurting me, but the pain has lessened. 4 days after the whole thing, I felt a little tingling sensation for a 2 seconds on my right hand twice during that day. I have full range of motion in my neck it doesn't hurt me anymore.It just feels like a sore muscle now on my right side. I went to see a doctor, and he without checking me but just hearing my explanation of what happened told me I have nothing to worry about, everything is fine. Should I be confident about it and not worry about it anymore?
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.
Hello:

Regarding your concern, I have located the following information that resembles your cheif complaint. of course, To be 100% certain, you should always be evaluated by a profession Physician in most cases.This information is intended for educational purpose and possible cause only.

(Please see "CAUSE" section below.)

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is pain, numbness, tingling, and/or weakness in the arm and hand due to pressure against the nerves or blood vessels that supply the arm. It is due to tight muscles, ligaments, bands, or bony abnormalities in the thoracic outlet area of the body, which lies just behind the collar bone. Pressure on the nerves is the problem more than 95% of the time, but occasionally the artery or vein is involved.

Common Symptoms

The most frequent complaints are numbness and tingling in the fingers; pain in the neck, shoulder, and arm; headaches in the back of the head; weakness of the arm and dropping things from the hand; worsening of the symptoms when elevating the arm to do such things as comb or blow dry one's hair or drive a car, and coldness and color changes in the hand. The symptoms are often worse at night or when using the arm for work or other activities.

Cause

TOS is most often produced by hyperextension neck injuries. Auto accidents that cause whiplash injuries, and repetitive stress in the workplace, are the two most common causes. Some of the occupations that we see causing TOS include, working on assembly lines, keyboards, or 10-key pads, as well as filing or stocking shelves overhead. In some people, symptoms develop spontaneously, without an obvious cause. An extra rib in the neck occurs in less than 1% of the population. People born with this rib, called a cervical rib, are 10 times more likely to develop symptoms of TOS than other people. However, even in people with cervical ribs, it usually requires some type of neck injury to bring on the symptoms.

Diagnosis

Physical examination is most helpful. Common findings are tenderness over the scalene muscles, located about one inch to the side of the wind pipe; pressure on this spot causes pain or tingling down the arm; rotating or tilting the head to one side causes pain in the opposite shoulder or arm; and elevating the arms in the "stick-em-up" position reproduces the symptoms of pain, numbness, and tingling in the arm and hand. There is often reduced sensation to very light touch in the involved hand (this can only be detected in people with involvement on one side).
For more info, go to:http://www.shands.org/health/information/article/003025.htm
Here, you will find addtional info on neck pain, falls, etc..

Hope this helps, good luck & God bless!

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to cherummy's Post: Let's assume I have a pinched nerve.
Is it possible to recover fully from it so that I can continue pro wrestling?
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.
Your level of healing will be determined by your age, your general health and the severity of the damage to your nerve. Again, only a professional can make this assumption for you regarding this particular situation. There is really no one way of knowing your recovery rate, or if you can still Pro- wrestle. Without the specific testing needed to check the "definite" trauma that is involved with your specific situation.

I wish I could be of more help, but this is about all I can tell you.

Take care, and feel free to write again if you need further information.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
It just feels like a sore muscle now on my right side. I went to see a doctor, and he without checking me but just hearing my explanation of what happened told me I have nothing to worry about, everything is fine. Should I be confident about it and not worry about it anymore?
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.
Customer

The fact that the other symptoms have subsided is a good sign of recovery. You could very well just have taken a good jolt!
However, if you are not feeling relief at a steady rate, I would get a second opinion to be sure.
One can natually "assume" things, but a "true" diagnosis could only be obtained & confirmed by an X-ray; to be sure.

Without knowing the details of your unjury, you may likely have been misdiagnosed.

This is something that could very well affect your career permanently, as well as your overall outcome, and I personally would not take it lightly.
Keep me posted on the situation, and I wish you much luck for a full recovery!

Take care...
Cheryl, Medical Assistant
Experience: Health care certified
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to cherummy's Post: There isn't really pain anymore. It just feels like regular muscle soreness.
Are you talking about the C-spine series X-ray?
And does that show the doctor if there is any nerve damage?
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.
Yes, and other X-rays can be preformed as well. However, the C-spine can readily show what needs to be ruled out.

Also: An EMG provides information about the integrity of the muscles and the nerves in your body. This examination is typically ordered by a physician to evaluate for muscle or nerve damage as part of a medical workup.

Something to suggest?

Hope this helps you out. Take care, and my prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.
Expert:  Cheryl replied 11 years ago.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that EMGs are used to detect abnormal muscle electrical activity that can occur in many diseases and conditions, including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles and in your case in particular... pinched nerves or nerve damage.

O.k, take care.. Thanks again