ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  over 20years of experience in the health field and personal experience
19786

Cat

Customer Question

My cat is male spayed 6 yrs old. Has swelling of the throat and side of the tongue is red and sore no coughing or sneezing. Has been tested for all cat diseases- lukemia and etc- negative.Indoor cat. He wont eat has temp 101 to 103.8. Has been to the vet had complete blood work, shows nothing. on Delta albaplex#28 for 4 days, don't see much change. Could this be from chewing on a philodrendon,had plant on table. Called poison control said to keep fluids and see if he pees. Giving him Pedealite and water mixed. what is the next step? He makes a noise like a hickup when he swallows, all through he can breathe normally. Vet has no clue. He is urinating okay no problem,looks at food but wont eat. please advise if you can. he is my best friend. thank You. sandy
Category: Health
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 12 years ago.
 This is from the animal poison control center they charge$45.00 per case charged to the owner’s phone bill. The Center will do as many follow-up calls as necessary in critical cases, and at the owner’s request will contact their veterinarian. Stated below it recommends possible antihistamines to help if it is infact the plant that in causing the problem. If it doesn't subside soon maybe anesthetizing him and possible getting a close look in there might be a good idea. Make sure its not an abcess, bad tooth or even possibly a tumor. In the mean time you can try feeding him baby food so he doesn't have to chew it. Might be easier for him to eat since his mouth is sore.

Common Name: Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron
Scientific Name: Philodendron bipennifolium
Family: Araceae
Toxic Principle: calcium oxalate crystals
Clinical signs: oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, tongue, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty in swallowing.

http://www.aspca.org/site/FrameSet?style=User&url=http://www.aspca.org/toxicplants/M01866.htm

Philodendron spp.

Common name(s)  Cordaturn, horsehead, philodendron, red emerald, red princess.

Toxin(s)  Oxalates. May also initiate histamine release in the body.

Toxic part(s)  Probably the entire plant including the roots.

Signs  Pain and swelling of the oral cavity. Acute inflammation of the oropharynx accompanied by salivation, pawing at the mouth, and drooling. Edema of the lips, tongue, and throat may be seen.

Treatment  Usually none required. Rinse the mouth copiously with water or milk. Give the animal milk or other source of calcium. The calcium may precipitate soluble oxalates. Antihistamines may be helpful. Analgesics may be required. Swelling may be treated with cool compresses. It is unknown if diuretics or glucocorticosteroid would help with the inflarnmation. Rarely, swelling of the tongue, glottis, or pharynx will interfere with respiration. If necessary, secure the airway

http://maxshouse.com/ToxicPlantsComplete.htm#Philodendron%20spp.

Good Luck!

Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 12 years ago.
I notice that my learned colleague ZooCVT
had already posted some great advice by the time I had my reply
ready.  I won't repeat any of the great information she has given
you above -- but you may want to consider the following.

Strictly as a commonsense hunch -- you might try giving your cat Aloe
Vera juice (via syringe) and/or rubbing Aloe Vera gel in his mouth to
ease discomfort.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: The above is provided for informational
purposes only.  As I am not a veterinarian or healthcare
professional -- the above should not be considered, or relied upon as,
veterinary medical advice.  I strongly encourage you to consult a
Licensed Veterinarian regarding any serious animal medical matter.

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
We have tried baby food he is on Delta Albaplex#28. His teeth are fine. This came on suddenly, not even sure it was the plant. No one said antything about the noise he makes when he swallows, if not plant related is it from an allergy?... or could another type of condition cause these symptoms, If so what might that be. Need to find out the cause before treatment will be effective. Will have an exray tomorrow and urine anaylasis again.
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 12 years ago.

Well babyfood will also help because of the sore. If he has to chew his food his tongue may be rubbing on his teeth and that can be irritating. If it was the plant, they did say antihistimines may help in the mean time but it may just take time to heal. The x-rays will shed more like on what the swelling is though. I hope all goes well and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 12 years ago.
I will talk to my vet about antihistimines tomorrow. The noise is coming from his throat, He has started to eat a few pieces of food and drink water. I have been force feeding him canned a/d vet can food ( Science Diet) mixed with baby food & water in a syringe and also FMR kitten milk to keep him hydraded while this has been going on.
Thank You
Expert:  ZooCVT replied 12 years ago.

Sometimes, I've noticed, when cats aren't eating that well, they will click their jaws. Not sure if thats the sounds you're hearing but I don't think they've ever established way they do it. Like they're grinding their teeth because their stomach is upset or for whatever reason.

Hopefully this will resolve soon for you

Good Luck tomorrow