TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Herbal Healer, Color Therapist
Experience:  36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
6999

Oil Glands Under Hair on Scalp

bumps on scalp; dr said oil glands; painful; getting larger and scalp is tight; please explain what is happening and what can I do? Thx
Category: Health
Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 10 years ago.

Greetings: 

It appears that you may have a certain disorder of the Sebaceous (oil) Glands. See the websites listed below for further information:

Sebaceous glands (oil glands) are all over the body except on the palms of hands and soles of feet. The glands empty via ducts into the bases of hair follicles and secrete sebum (a mixture of fats, waxes, and hydrocarbons). Sebum keeps hair moist and prevents skin from drying. Sebaceous glands are numerous on the face and scalp. ...............

Skin (Integumentary) System Information

Disorders of the Sebaceous (Oil) Glands

Dealing with Skin Problems

Also, please note that Painful sores, blisters, or bumps that develop on the scalp may be caused by:

Scalp Problems -- Topic Overview

I trust that your doctor is a dermatologist....if not, your regular physician should refer you to one. Certainly, a prescription may be necessary to treat - or proper hair solution, as well as proper diet, drink plenty of water. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions - he/she is there to assist you...and to heal.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Please take care.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Experience: 36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
Expert:  Jambazi replied 10 years ago.
It sounds like you might have a condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis. I usually treat this with a coal tar shampoo or selenium sulfide shampoo, both of which can be found over the counter. Please visit your own physician to confirm this diagnosis and obtain proper treatment. Below is some information about Seborrheic dermaititis for you:

Seborrheic Dermatitis: What It Is and How to Treat It
What is seborrheic dermatitis?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a disease that causes flaking of the skin. It usually affects the scalp. In adolescents and adults, it is commonly called "dandruff." In babies, it is known as "cradle cap."

Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect the skin on other parts of the body, such as the face and chest, and the creases of the arms, legs and groin. Seborrheic dermatitis usually causes the skin to look a little greasy and scaly or flaky.

How common is it?
Seborrheic dermatitis most often occurs in babies younger than 3 months of age and in adults from 30 to 60 years of age. In adults, it's more common in men than in women.

What causes seborrheic dermatitis?
The exact cause isn't known. The cause may be different in infants and adults. Seborrheic dermatitis may be related to hormones, because the disorder often appears in infancy and disappears before puberty. Or the cause might be a fungus, called Pityrosporum ovale. This organism is normally present on the skin in small numbers, but sometimes its numbers increase, resulting in skin problems.

Seborrheic dermatitis has also been linked to neurologic disorders such as Parkinson's disease and epilepsy. The reason for this relationship isn't known.

How is seborrheic dermatitis treated?
The treatment of seborrheic dermatitis depends on its location on the body. Treatment also depends on the person's age.

Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp (dandruff) in adults and adolescents. Dandruff is usually treated with a shampoo that contains salicylic acid (some brand names: X-Seb, Scalpicin), the prescription medicine selenium sulfide (brand names: Selsun, Exsel) or pyrithione zinc (some brand names: DHS Zinc, Head & Shoulders). These shampoos can be used 2 times a week. Shampoos with coal tar (some brand names: DHS Tar, Neutrogena T/Gel, Polytar) may be used 3 times a week. If you have dandruff, you might start by using one of these shampoos daily until your dandruff is controlled, and then use it 2 or 3 times a week.

When you use a dandruff shampoo, rub the shampoo into your hair thoroughly and let it stay on your hair and scalp for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. This will give it time to work.

If the shampoo alone doesn't help, your doctor might want you to use a prescription steroid lotion once or twice daily, in addition to the shampoo.