TheMysticWave
TheMysticWave, Herbal Healer, Color Therapist
Experience:  36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
6999

severe body muscle pain from the back of my neck to the rest

Customer Question

I am experiencing severe body muscle pain from the back of my neck to the rest of my body. I try to get some rest, but it hurts even after I have layed down to rest. My body feel really warm.
Category: Health
Expert:  becat replied 12 years ago.

HiCustomer

I would like to ask a few question of you to be able to better answer your question.

How long has this been going on?

Have you fallen or picked something up wrong lately?

Is this painful 24/7, is there a time when it's worse?

Do you have another health issues at this time that would maybe effect this?

Thanks for the information.

Expert:  nursehope replied 12 years ago.
l would see either a medical doctor osteopath or chiropractor re: this type of pain. It could be anything from strain sprain injury to disc nerve problem even viral infection. Any pain that is severe or lasts more than 2-3 days requires treatment. Ice applied may help or heat. Do what feels better. Naproxyn Sodium or Motrin taken as directed may ease pain. feel better soon!
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Thank you. The doctor said its a viral infection and I have been taking antibiotics. However, the pain is not going away. I will take motrin tonight to see if that helps. Does a viral infection last that long. Also, I have been traveling on buses for 12 to 14 hours to get there. twice in two months. Can this be the reason. I hope it goes away soon, but you sound like you know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks again. I was worried it was some kind of bone disease, God forbid.
Expert:  becat replied 12 years ago.

Hi Scarlett,

A viral infection runs it's own course. It's good that they have you on an antibitotic to protect your system, as your body is trying to get rid of the viral infection. Eat well, get rest as possible, and you may wish to add a multivitamin to boost your immune system.

I'm sure riding on the bus for that long is a chore in itself. Yes, I believe that it would make anyone sore. You could take the Motrin, your choice before you get on the bus. Start the pain medicine before to prolong it's starting up. Stretch as often as you can, be careful not to over extend yourself. Even raising your hands above your head can be helpful.

I would agree with nursehope, about seeking the doctors advice. Both are good choices when it comes to back pain.

Good Luck and feel better soon.

Expert:  TheMysticWave replied 12 years ago.

Greetings:

I am very sorry for your pain and suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Every day my husband suffers from severe body muscle pain in his neck - in his case it is due from stress, as well as psoriatic arthritis, at times, he will sleep with too many pillows, or sleeping incorrectly, wherein his neck is not alligned with the spine. In addition, inactivity and exhaustion, will cause this symptom.

Muscle pain may also be due to:

Call your doctor if:

• Your muscle pain persists beyond 3 days.
  • You have severe, unexplained pain.
  • You have any sign of infection, like swelling or redness around the tender muscle.
  • You have poor circulation in the area where you have muscles aches (for example, in your legs).
  • You have a tick bite or a rash.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include:

• Blood tests to look at CBC, and to test for Lyme disease or a connective tissue disorder
  • Invasive neuromuscular tests (such as an EMG)
  • Muscle biopsy (rarely needed)

I hope you feel better soon.

My very best to you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave

Experience: 36 yrs. exp. in Alternative Medicine (Herbal & Wholistic Healing) Color Therapy, Flower Essences
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. However, the pain is in the muscle and does not affect the facial area or hips and chest. I'm glad because this eliminates alot of the diseases listed on top. I think I just overused my muscles and traveling on the bus for 16 hours might have also been part of the problem. I just hope the pain goes away soon. Thanks.

Greetings:

You're very welcome, and thank you very much for accepting my response, it's greatly appreciated. If it doesn't go away within the next couple of days, you may wish to consult with your doctor as he may prescribe pain medication.

My husband has suggested that you may be suffering from a pinched nerve (as this is another daily symptom that he endures) - which is, in fact, quite painful. If you are unable to seek a physician's care soon, you may wish to do some easy stretching of the neck exercises, moving your head side to side and up and down...being very careful not to strain. 

Personally, I am more for acupuncture, homeopathic/ herbal remedies in which to treat ailments, discomfort. If you are interested, you may contact me via Private Mail, I would be happy to provide you with any information.

If I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Again, thank you kindly and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Bright Blessings.

Peace, Love & Happiness,

The Mystic Wave