guyRN
guyRN, Health Answer Team
Experience:  Health Expert
4301

muscle..his stomach area..his body, arms and chest it is not painful

Customer Question

My son (28 years old) has been complaining of muscle vibrations in his stomach area just below is naval. He disribes it as the same sensation you feel when using an electronic muscle stimulator machine. He says he experiences this in other parts of his body, arms and chest it is not painful. He is an elite athlete very little body fat he has been training for well over15 years. This is what doesn't make since I just recently started having the same condition in my left upper bicep and tricep it just starts vibrating very rapidly for a few seconds and stops then does it again several times then stops for awhile and goes away till the next day it happens about 3 or 4 times a day. It is almost the some feeling as a eye twitch only huge. This condition must be related to something that my son and I have contracted or something we are both exposed to or eating, but I just can't figure it out.
Category: Health
Expert:  guyRN replied 12 years ago.
Hi there..What you and your son are experiencing are called muscle spasms or tetany. This type of "muscle vibrating" can have a number of causes, but the most common causes in my experience have been because of an electrolyte deficit. Usually calcium or magnesium. However if you take mega vitamins or large doses of these minerals, muscle tetany can also occur. In your sons case, his problem is more than likely muscular strain brought on by his strenuous training program. The body will only use as much of a particular vitamin/ mineral as it needs...no more, no less. The rest it gets rid of. More where vitamins are concerned is not always effective nor a very good idea. Proper diet with a multivitamin will usually more than suffice. Be aware that some types of medications such as products containing caffene can also cause tetany. Take care and I hope this helps..
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Rejected guyRN's Post. Reason Given: This problem seems to me to be something that both my son and I now share how is this posible and it does not feel like a strain it's more like a massive eye twitch in different areas. My son and I have never had this before. Please understand that my son has been training intensely since he was 8 years old and has never experience this condition and now I have it and have never had anything like it before either. We've been taking the same vitamin for years all natural called Alive and sup with eater-C. This started about a month ago for my son and mine just started happening in the last couple of days and it is something I have never experience in my life before. We are both very healthy and eat accordingly.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
This is a condition that started a month ago for my son and a few days ago for me. Please read rejection Reason Given:
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
I believe that what my son and I are experience is lated to something we both are doing something we both ate or ?