guyRN
guyRN, Health Answer Team
Experience:  Health Expert
4301

can an ovary regrow itself after having a full hysterectomy

Customer Question

I had a full hysterectomy. One year my doctor (ob/gyn) removed my uterus, the next year my right ovary and the following year my left. Since my last operation in 2001, i have had severe pelvic and back pain and have been told by a numerous of other doctors that it appears that I still have my left ovary with a large cyst (mass) on it. Is this possible? Could my doctor have left a small piece of ovary inside? And if so, how common is this?
I suffered a massive staff infection following my last surgery that required me to be re admitted to the hospital for another week and now I am allergic to so many things, ie.. meds, foods and have real bad allergies. Would I have to have surgery again for a 4th time to take care of my problem?

Please help with any answers possible.

Thank You,
Vicki Guerrero

Category: Health
Expert:  guyRN replied 12 years ago.
Hi Vicky.. It sounds like you have had a pretty rough go of things lately. Sorry.. If your MD did remove your ovaries then no, there is no chance that one could grow back. Once it is gone, its gone. If it is there still then you have a pretty good malpractice case, Id say. It is possible that you have some type of mass where your ovary was that on x-ray may resemble an ovary, but that doesnt seem likely, if all of your MDs are of the same opinion that you still have an ovary, then I would suggest that you have an MRI done of the pelvis. That would pretty much end all doubts. I am surprised that you havent had one done. As for the pain, many women have pelvic and back pain post hysterectomy and oophrectomy. The reason in most of the cases is because adhesions have formed in your pelvic reigon and they can affect the nerves and vessels of the abdomen and pelvis causing chronic pain. The staph infection didnt help things Im sure. As for your sudden onset of allergies, I really cant explain that to you. I would suggest that you see an allergist as he can test you for specific allergens and prescribe alternate medications and diet changes. I am including a link to an excellant site that deals specifically with pelvic pain. I hope this helps and I wish you the best..
guyRN, Health Answer Team
Experience: Health Expert