Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

We have a garmin gps which we bought and registered with you

Customer Question

we have a garmin gps which we bought and registered with you about five or six years ago. we now need updates. how do we get them.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it would have to be about seven or eight years. could it be nuvi 40. 2c4419745
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: dont know
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we arent having trouble just want to know how to update maps
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) What is the "condition" of the device right now? That is, does it still work well (with the currently installed maps), does the battery hold a good level of charge when NOT connected to power (at least 20 minutes), etc.?

2) Do you have a computer and USB cable - to connect the device to the computer?

3) Do you have HIGH SPEED & RELIABLE internet access?

Please use the REPLY box below.
NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I am NOT be available by phone.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it is in good condition dont know if we have a connection to the internet on it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Hi again,

These devices do NOT connect to the internet themselves ... they MUST be connected to a computer (via USB cable) and the computer needs to have internet access.

Do you have those things (see questions 2 & 3 above)?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
when we bought the gps we regitered it for free map updates. h
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Let me send questions 2 & 3 again.

==================

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
we have a reliable internet service.. can we get back to you later when i check that weeyes we have a reliable internet service. can we leave this till later while we check if we have a cable to connect.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Yes - you can return here at any time and let me know what you have.

Just send another note when you are ready, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks, ***** *****