Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Golf Buddy Pro Tour Range Finder that we love. It

Customer Question

I have a Golf Buddy Pro Tour Range Finder that we love. It is was working fine last fall and we just came down to Florida and I charged it before we golfed. When we got to the golf course we could not power it up. For some reason the back cover was partly off. We did not use the GPS but when we got home took the back cover off and there is a battery that says DECA System, This side up. On the other side of this is a plastic battery plate I think that says do not dissassemble, do not short terminals, do not expose to high temp, do not puncture. Well, we tried today to charge again and nothing is happening.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?
Customer: All I have down here in Florida is
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: DSC Model GB200 we think
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Haven Haven't tried any trouble shooting. Right now we have the back cover off.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all we have with us.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not interested in all this stuff. The golf buddy is several years old. I want my $5.00 refunded that I put on my American Express card
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) Has the battery EVER been replaced - with a NEW battery?

Please use the REPLY box below.
NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE AUTOMATICALLY (and not me), and I may NOT be available by phone at the moment of that request.
Feel free to DECLINE (close) any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is about 8- 10 years old. Never replaced a battery just charged it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - you MAY want to replace the battery - with a new one. I have a link to a search I did (on Amazon) where you should be able to find one for a good price.

Click Here for Search Results --> http://amzn.to/2js9n9O

In the mean time, I would recommend CLEANING the contacts of the battery AND inside the device - with a bit of alcohol and a cotton swab (Q-tip).

Then reconnect to the charger and let it charge for AT LEAST 30 minutes, and then try to power it ON (to see if it comes ON).

If so, then turn the device OFF and reconnect to the charger for a few more hours - so that the battery has a chance to FULLY charge.

Since you found the cover LOOSE, I suspect that the battery may have come loose in your travels - OR - the battery MAY have started to "swell" - from the last time it was charged. Swelling is another sign of a battery "getting old & going bad" - and it should NOT be used at that point.

Please give these things a try and let me know your results.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. A sporting good store that carries GolfBuddy units (or proshop) MAY have replacement batteries too - but expect much higher prices than online.