Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I purchased a Garmin Alpha 100 tracking. I live in Australia

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased a Garmin Alpha 100 tracking bundle. I live in Australia and purchased a Garmin micro SD with Australian maps. Can you advise me how to unlock the US map setting to install local maps.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: ATT15 purchased in 3rd quarter of 2016
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have to get a bit more information from my son who we purchased it for. I believe he inserted the micro sd card with Australian maps and cannot get it to load.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None that I know of other than turning off, removing the card and restarting
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son had a previous model and used it with no problems.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I spoke with my son and he said when he inserted the Garmin micro sd card with Australian maps, a message came up indicating the dealer should be contacted.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If your unit has a protected firmware then you will need to contact your dealer to get the maps installed.

You can find your nearest dealer at:

http://www.garmin.com/en-AU/dealer-locator/

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Aside from the answer being fairly generic, when I indicated on the web page I had a question on a Garmin product, a photo titled "Garmin specialist" appeared. I am pissed that Just Answer has been just average both times I have used the service. Please do not reply.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi Tony,

I have worked on Garmin products for over 17 years.

However, unless you have specialist equipment and software available to reinstall the firmware yourself, then unfortunately there isn't anything else you can do about this.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this occasion; please do not shoot the messenger! I am a user of this site, just like you.

Let me know if you need anything else at all.

Best,

Pete.