Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Morning G. I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790. It started to have the

Morning Steve G. I have a Garmin Nuvi 3790. It started to have the following problem.
It would start up until it says loading maps and then boot back up again from the start as if in a loop.
I tried to connect it to a pc but it is not picked up anymore. I have it plugged in to charge now for extended period and it only the Garmin logo is showing?
I would appreciate any help!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Can you try updating the Nuvi using Garmin Express on a computer?

You can download Garmin Express from:

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

--------------------
Happy New Year!
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press submit at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
PeteAs I mentioned when it is connected to a computer it does not pick up the GPS. So I cannot control it or do anything!

It does not need to pick up the GPS and you do not need to access it to perform the update using Garmin Express.

What happens when you connect it to Garmin Express?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can try but surely it needs to show as connected in garmin express, it does not even show up in my computer as a device that is connected. When I connect it, it will come on and then startup to the loading maps and then go off and then on again and show the garmin logo and then stay like that!

Apologies, I thought you meant a GPS signal connection; yes, the computer does need to pick up the GPS device itself.

Are you using a laptop or a desktop PC?

What operating system are you using?

Can you try a different USB cable or a different USB port on the computer?

Do you have a different computer you can try with?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi PeteI tried it with different USB's in all the usb ports I still need to test it in another computer. Using windows 10 home

Are you using a laptop or a desktop PC?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
HP laptop

Sometimes this problem can occur with laptops if they are not connected to a power supply or if too many USB devices are plugged in at the same time.

Can you remove any other USB devices and ensure the power supply is connected and turned on?

If that doesn't work, try testing it on another computer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
My power supply was connected and I tried it on a different laptop no resolve see here a video of what happens

Can you provide a link to the video?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
sorry it did not attach https://www.dropbox.com/s/csgwivzuzkq5g52/vid.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for the video, very useful.

So the Nuvi is definitely stuck in a boot loop... this indicates that the software on it is missing or corrupted.

Can you try leaving it connected to the computer, then shut down the computer and start it up again whilst the Nuvi is still plugged into the computer.

Let me know if the computer can then detect the Nuvi device?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Pete there was no change when doing that!
If it still cannot be detected then your only remaining option is to return it to Garmon for repair at their service center.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was hoping that would not be the case. Thank you very much for your time and help!

You are welcome.

Let me know if you need anything else at all.

Best,

Pete.