Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Have the Garmin Touring model GPS, and it can't be seen by

Customer Question

Have the Garmin Touring model GPS, and it can't be seen by my pc. I'm using usb cord that came with Garmin and have plugged into USB port
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Maybe 2 yrs old, Garmin Edge Touring Plus. Thought the problem was with our old laptop, but we got a new Laptop for xmas, so I;m guessing it the unit now or ?
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: When I first got it, the PC saw it, but after a few months nothing...I blamed it on our Laptop USB port or so I thought.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: New PC I reinstalled Garmin Express, tried different USB ports, don't have another cord to fit Garmin.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just trying to get it to work - thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, software, phones, tablets, e-readers, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

USB communication issues can prevent Garmin Windows applications from communicating with Garmin devices.

If a Garmin mass storage or MTP device is not detected by a Garmin Windows application, check to make sure that that the device recognizes the USB connection. Most devices will display an icon on the screen indicating that the device is communicating with the computer.

When a device is properly connected to a Windows computer, it will be displayed as a removable disk or portable device. To check whether Windows recognizes the connection:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the computer
  2. Click the Start menu*
  3. Click File Explorer, Computer, or My Computer
  4. Click This PC (Windows 10 only)

Mass storage and MTP devices are both listed under Devices and drives in Windows 10.

If the Garmin device does not display the connection screen or is not recognized by Windows, try the following steps:

Note: I know that you've already done some of these things, I'm just listing them anyway for the sake of thoroughness.

• Try a different USB cable
  • Try a Garmin branded cable if available
  • If a new cable must be purchased, ensure that the cable is a USB data cable and not a USB charging cable as these will only charge the device
  • Ensure that the USB port is working properly
  • Try a different USB port on the computer and/or test the USB port with a different USB device
  • Avoid connecting through a USB hub, USB extension cable, keyboard, or monitor
  • On desktop computers, use the USB ports on the back of the computer
  • Connect the USB cable directly to the Garmin device and not the mount (the ports on the mount are for charging only)
  • Disconnect all other USB devices from the computer other than the keyboard and mouse
  • Ensure that the battery on the Garmin device is fully charged
  • Restart the computer and reconnect the device

Please give this a try and let me know if the device is recognized by the PC but not the Garmin Express software or not recognized by either.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried all, Guess I'm going to have to locate a new USB data cable, not seeing garmin device, if a new cord fails, once my next move, new garmin ? thanks for your help.