Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

A few months ago I had a cellular phone repair shop resolder

Customer Question

A few months ago I had a cellular phone repair shop resolder my usb jack on my 1490. When I picked it up I noticed that the screen wasn't as bright and the whites had a yellow tint and the pink ribbon that marks the route has an orangish hue. Could this be something the repair man didn't do right?
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: Not phone. GPS nuvi 1490. About five years old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just have trouble with it saying it wasn't plugged in when it was and the battery was low. I'd mess with the plug and it would beep and indicate it was plugged in and the battery was full. This happened for a month and a half to two months then quit turning on altogether.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Went into the menu and tried to brighten the screen and it says it's already maxed.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can really tell him.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Can you still reach the DISPLAY settings, and ADJUST (change) the brightness of the display?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The brightness can be adjusted but is already on maximum.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 13 days ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - as long as the brightness CAN be adjusted, that is a "good thing".

So to answer your original question, this symptom COULD be an issue cause DURING the repair of the USB connector - and MAY be as simple as a loose or misaligned "ribbon cable" - that connects to the display.

If you receive ANY kind of "warranty" on the repair, I would take the device back to the place of repair and have them CHECK their work, and the connections of ALL ribbon cables - to see if this issue can be fixed.

As a reference only, I have a couple of links to videos, that show where these ribbon cables and connectors are located.

How to replace battery video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmc1et0HJOQ

How to access USB port video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q7cZXrFBw8

Of course if you are good with your hands, you could check these connections yourself - or with the help of a friend. This assumes you have the tools to open the case AND that the repair place would charge you more to investigate these symptoms.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 9 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)