Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a West Marine Garmin 276C, bought about 2004 that

Customer Question

I have a West Marine Garmin 276C, bought about 2004 that just quit displaying the correct position after sitting for a couple of years. It worked perfectly for a few years then about 2009 or so displayed the position off by a couple of miles. Where can I take it for help.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a 276C Plus bought in late 2004 or early 2005.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Actually none, myself. I took it to Best Buy but they said they could not help with this model.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of, other than it seems to work but displays the wrong position. I live in St. Paul, Mn area - any place I can take it around here. I used it on Lake Superior but have only sailed a limited amount and all in the Apostle Islands.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 days ago.

Your best bet is going to be to connect the GPSmap 276c to your computer , and then download and install the most recent software update for it..

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=885#Instruct

That page has the download link, and also the instructions.. Updating the software may very well fix the issue..

if it doesnt, this company can give you a quote on repairing the unit.. http://satnavrepairservice.com/repair-satnav/garmin-repair/garmin-276c-repair/1523.html

If you have further questions, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Your answer was fine but I didn't really understand the whole procedure and had no intention of buying this service. It stated "Free Trial," or words to that effect but I was not able to get a free trial. I asked only one question and received a quite general answer to that. I would like my money refunded, please.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 days ago.

Not a problem~ Though, If you came in through the free trial you may not have been charged. Honestly we technicians have no access to the accounting side of things, for any concerns about the free trial or refunds if you have been charged you would need to contact our customer service.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

as far as the general answer, you had only asked for a place you could send the device in for repairs.

My normal approach to these situations is to exhaust all repair attempts before suggesting a client pay for actual repair services.. But you didnt ask for help repairing it yourself, so I sent one major step thats likely to help. If you want, or wanted more help then that, you h ave to say so! And if you dont understand the procedure, this is something I can do for you if you wanted, by connecting to your computer and carrying out the steps on screen, in person.

let me know if thats something you would like to try,

Dustin S