Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I had my Garmin Nav. Stolen a couple days ago is there any

Customer Question

I had my Garmin Nav. Stolen a couple days ago is there any way I can have it shut down?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I don't have model # it's about 4 years Old I may have more info on it but haven't looked too much yet
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I don't know computer went Nutty
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None I don't know if item was regestered with Garmin or not
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats it unless I need to give name and other info
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear that your device was stolen :(.

May I ask:

1) Can you "guess" at the model of the device?

2) Did it have a "Garmin Lock" feature and was it "enabled", so that any time you powered up the device when starting when you were "away" from it "security location" it would ask for a PIN - before going to the main screen?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response back here - on this page - but wanted to send the following information before I sign off for the evening.

Unfortunately, these units are only "receivers" of GPS satellite signals, so that they can display the position of the unit on the screen of the device. Like most GPS devices, the device does not transmit the position information to any outside service, so it can not be "tracked" to find the folks that grabbed it, OR for any other purpose. Sorry about that.

What you CAN do is file a "police report", as sometimes these units DO get recovered, and if so, it can be returned to you. For that report you will typically need the serial number of the device, as that is about the only unique identifying item for these devices. IF you have the original box or receipt, that serial number SHOULD be printed on the box (or receipt).

One other step that you may want to consider is to report the loss of the unit to Garmin, and see IF it was registered. Typically there would have been an EMAIL address used during registration, and the Garmin folks will ask for the serial number.
IF it can be found (based on your email) they can then place it in their records that the unit has been stolen. This will not do much for recovery of the device BUT IF someone tries to do any updates on the unit - which is done via the Garmin website - then that function will be disabled. I have the customer support contact information below if you want to do that step.

Garmin Customer Support
Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM,
Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time
(closed holidays)

Phone:
U.S.: 1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####br />Canada: 1-***-***-****

I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but I can only give you an honest and correct answer.

Again, sorry for your loss. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)