Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I cannot find a replacement battery for my Golf Buddy (DSC

Customer Question

I cannot find a replacement battery for my Golf Buddy (DSC GB300). When I search for an LI-A06-02, I am steered toward a thicker replacement LI-B03-02, which is thicker and doesn't fit. Where can I get the correct battery, or a replacement back which will accommodate the thicker battery?
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Over eight years, DCS-GB300.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I don't understand the question. What happened to my computer screen? Or what happened to my Golf Buddy as the battery decayed?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have purchased the so called replacement battery, but it is thicker than the original.. I cannot close the back of the golf buddy. I was told a larger back was available, but cannot find it anywhere. The current battery is just fading away. It doesn't hold its charge fo more than three hours. when new it lasted 8 hours.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device & battery.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHERE was this replacement battery purchased (local or online)?

2) Do you have a NAME of your Golf Buddy device (such as "Tour" or "Pro")?

Thanks

NOTE: If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE (and not me).
Feel free to DECLINE any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
t is a Golf Buddy Platinum DSC-GB300. I tried two different replacements. One from Batteries Plus and another from Interstate Batteries. After neither fit, I started paying particular attention to the dimensions of the batteries billed as replacements for the LI-A06-02. Everyone I have found is too thick. The LI-A06-02 is about 0.25 inch thick. All replacements are 0.4 inches. I have sent e-mail to Golf Buddy, but to no avail.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

So were those ONLINE stores, or local?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Local
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Local stores but they had to special order the battery.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - I'm looking at the Batteries+ listing (CLICK HERE) and see that they have TWO batteries listed - with different capacities (and part numbers).

Does the battery you got from them MATCH either of those (perhaps the higher capacity one)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I got the PDA-340. It was too thick.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - so that would be the GPS10076 number - listed on the web page I linked you to, at the TOP of the page - is that CORRECT?

I only ask because I'm look at a different vendor (Batteryship.com) that specifically states on their page that this 1500mAh battery DOES NOT FIT the model DSC-GB300.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is correct. I went to the store and that was the battery they ordered for me. It was only after I started looking for myself that I noticed the disclaimer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The other battery has the terminals in the middle. and won't align correctly.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

OK - would the folks at batteries+ be "good enough" to see if the can check the specifications of the OTHER battery on that page - which is lower capacity?

I know that SOMETIMES the images show do not reflect the actual location of the contacts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll check. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

You're quite welcome.

While you are doing that, I will continue to see if I can find a place that DOES have the correct battery.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Please take a look at this battery - on Amazon.

It says it is 54 x 36 x 8 mm - which comes in at about 0.315 inches thick.

Also there are some statements in the REVIEWS that it is a TIGHT FIT (about 1/8 inch gap).

http://amzn.to/2g3f3Wa

Let me know if that might work for you.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not gone to the Batteries plus to ask about the exact location of the contacts for GSP10065. I was going to do that today.
The 8 mm thickness is very tight. That was the thickness of the two batteries I tried (GSP10076 from Batteries Plus and LIT2026 from Interstate Batteries).I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to live with the gap or get a new device.Thanks for the help, you can close this out.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

You're quite welcome.

Might I suggest sending another email (or two) - to the support folks at Golf Buddy?

I know they recently got rid of their phone support here in the US, so that is about all that is left - unless of course you want to try contacting the Canada division.

Their number is(###) ###-####/p>

Please let me know what you find.

And IF this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question. (that will close this question thread)
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)