Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

We have a Garmin Oregon 600 that cannot find the satalites

Customer Question

Hi there! We have a Garmin Oregon 600 that cannot find the satalites no matter what we do, please advise. Thank you in advance!!
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: how to I find the exact model? it is a 2013
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I crashed *it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: we have done a full factory reset a few times
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we keep getting a data error even when we are standing outside
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 15 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

First, try applying an update to your Garmin device.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

If that has been tried and has not helped, if the Garmin still cannot find satellites after 5 minutes in the open with a clear horizon... then you may have a defect in its internal tuner circuitry. At which point the choice would be between

A. trying an external antenna - if this model allows such a thing. It probably won't help though.

B. having the Garmin device repaired.

C. replacing it.

Let me know where you get among these possible outcomes, and whether you need advice on any of them, and I will advise you further - e.g. if interested in having it repaired, I can quote a price for you, if you like.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.