Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My micro700x will not charge - no light up at all when

Customer Question

my micro700x will not charge - no light up at all when plugged in
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: serial number 70x3668035 about 3 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing in particular I brought it home to charge it and plugged in but no light have tried an alternative lead but still none
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: sorry - as in
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Check the power adapter first, of course, would be my advice - it looks as if you already have done so, you say you 'tried an alternative lead'.

After that... given that it is 3 years old... I would say that the battery in the device has gone bad. All rechargeable batteries for portable electronic devices, of whatever technology or type, do go bad eventually, either through failure to hold charge, or failing to deliver enough power to start up a device. Your device's battery has evidently gotten to that point after 3 years.

(Which is a reasonable amount of time, by and large, for rechargeable batteries to fail.)

Would you like instructions on how to replace the battery yourself? and pointers toward where to buy the replacement battery?

Or would you prefer simple instructions on where to take it or send it, to have it repaired for you? (If this is what you want, tell me your local postal code, or town/city and state, please. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Waikato 3610
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not sure i should open it so if you can tell me wwhere i might get it fixed

It is less than 3 years old, so at least if you opened it you wouldn't void the warranty.

I am looking up places to direct you to, that you could call, in or near Waikato. Please wait another 10 minutes (or less hopefully) until my next posting. Thanks.

I have found out some interesting things... among which, a related device model to the one you have, is listed as turning dark-screened when you change the backlight setting, sometimes.

I presume your unit is not just dark, but really dead.

It's warranty by the way is longer than usual, 24 months, but being 3 years old, it's too late for warranty considerations.

New Zealand locations that might be able to assist with your SureShot 700x and replacing its battery:

OmniTech

0800 666 483

e.g. one of their stores, is in Hamilton at

Omni Tech Hamilton (The Base)
Te AWA The Base Shopping Mall
Corner of Te Rapa Road & Avalon Drive
Hamilton
Phone 07-8498061

or

Omni Tech Hamilton Centre Place
Shop K13 (outside of the Farmers store),
Centre Place Shopping Mall.***** Hamilton
Phone: 07-222 2099

ServicePlus (in Auckland, Wellington, etc.)

http://www.serviceplus.co.nz/

0800 00 77 22

PBTech

*****

Frankton, Hamilton

(07)(###) ###-####/p>

If none of these are acceptable, or none can help you, let me know, and I will get more listings.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

(If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.)

Thanks.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your response Russell. I am not sure that I am competent enough to open the device and thank you for the addresses you gave. However I am going to be requesting a refund from "just answer" as i feel that the answer does not warrant the expense. Kind regards