Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

How do I kick start an apparently dead memory battery for

Customer Question

How do I kick start an apparently dead memory battery for the Garmin GPS 12? Not used for 6 months. Left with batteries not installed.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The number on the back is: 37058280 Guess 10-12 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. Got the GPS out, installed batteries. Pressed the little red button for 5 seconds and......nothing. Same as I have done in the past....but those times, it worked.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Did not know what to do (blank screen) so warmed it up and tried again. Nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: For six months it was stored in a dry place. No signs of battery case corrosion - inside or out.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 19 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Did you verify battery polarity when install the batteries?

2) HOW LONG have these batteries been installed?

3) Do you happen to have the 12VDC power cable for this device - perhaps put away somewhere?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Thanks

P.S. If you see ANY requests for "additional services" - such as a phone call - please understand that these are sent BY THE SITE (and not me).
Feel free to DECLINE any such offers, and continue in this text/chat form.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
polarity, yes
4 minutes
no
Expert:  Greg A. replied 19 days ago.

OK - without the 12V adapter cable, it is hard to TEST - if the device will operate or not.

BUT, what I would suggest is installing the new batteries and leaving them inside the unit - for AT LEAST a few hours.

The idea is to TRY to "recharge" the internal memory battery - at least a little bit - to be able to power up the unit. With batteries, it will take longer than using the 12V adapter, but it is worth a shot.

You MAY also want to see if you can look to the bottom of the "battery tubes" - and see if there is ANYTHING that might be causing poor contact.

And If you have swabs on a LONG stick (that reach the bottom of the tubs), I would even use a bit of alcohol to clean those contacts - just in case.

Please let me know what you can do, and the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Battery tubes pristine clean.
Will leave batteries in overnight and advise
Expert:  Greg A. replied 19 days ago.

Very good - I will look for your results tomorrow.

NOTE: Depending on how valuable this device and its use is to you, I might recommend that you lock for one of the 12V power adapter cables - perhaps eBay or some such place.

The Garmin Part number for that cable is 010-10084-00.

Hope to hear good results tomorrow.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No response after leaving batteries in overnight. I will see if I can locate the charging cord, and revert....,,,,after all these years, unlikely.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 19 days ago.

I did find one of these cables online - at a store that says it is in stock. But I would call them and VERIFY they actually have it.

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Adptr_Cig_4_Pin_p/ellgarm0101008400.htm

Let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

(im)