Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Garmin 530 Rino 5 watt hand held has just quite---will

Customer Question

My Garmin 530 Rino 5 watt hand held has just quite---will turn on and then the compass comes up--but nothing happens,when you try to toggle or push any buttons---Where can I send this for repair?? Thks
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right gps technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is -530 HCX---10MO54523--FCC ID IPH-00861---About 6-7 years old ??? Not sure
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: ??? Just went to use it out Hunting--Tried to turn on and just started to act up---worked fine last sledding season??
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None --not sure how to do that
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure--it just won't turn on correctly --or shut off--have to remove battery to turn off---
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

To start with, lets master reset the Rino.. Heres how

With the Rino powered off:

Press and hold Page + Enter + Power until the screen reads "Do you really want to erase all of your user data? Yes/No."

Select "Yes", follow the prompts.

This removes EVERYTHING you have saved in your Rino and returns all settings to factory default.

To clarify, Page is the bottom button on the left side (the one you use to switch screens). Enter is depressing the joystick. Power is the small button at the top of the Rino between the antennas.

Now, if that doesnt get the device working.. We should try to update it.. But lets try the above first, and see what happens.. And then if necessary we can try to update it.. And if that fails, I will send you the contact information for the closest authorized Garmin repair center.

I figure its best if you and I attempt to fix this first, as that can save you a substantial amount of $$ over the cost of the repair center.

If you are satisfied with the solutions / answer I have provided please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating, as that is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

Thank you,

Dustin S