Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I'm updating my garmin gps and the the process seems to have

Customer Question

I'm updating my garmin gps and the the process seems to have become frozen. It says I have "time Remaining: 1 hour, 12 minutes". Its been like this for four hours.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I'm not sure - where do I find it
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just the Garmin support page
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing. Its been stuck on the Garmin Express showing the progress page stuck halfway through "Step 3 of 3: updating maps"
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The GPs is only a year old
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with? That model SHOULD be showing on the Garmin Express screen - usually at the top.

2) Is there a line of text - right below the progress bar - that says what should be happening? That could say "downloading files..." or something like that.

3) Is there ANYTHING ELSE running on the computer - that might be using internet access?

Please use the REPLY box below.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response here - on this page - but wanted to send the following before I sign off for the night.

I have a seen a similar "stuck update" recently - where the computer was stuck on about a "44 minutes remaining" - during the "download" part of the update.

To make a long story short, I "closed" (exited) the Garmin Express program, and got a "warning" that asked if I really wanted to exit, as the program believed it was still in the middle of an update. I clicked on the button that confirmed that I wanted to exit the program.

Then I waited about a minute or so - WITHOUT disconnecting the device - and RESTARTED the Garmin Express program. I then restarted the update, and the program continued with the update and completed the process SUCCESSFULLY.

I would recommend that you try the same thing, and see if that works for you too.

Please let me know what happens - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I shut down the Garmin Express program and restarted the update. It went fine the second time. What was strange - the initial try it was froze in the "3rd" step of the process. The second time, and the successful time, it only went through 2 steps to completion.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for letting me know that worked for you.

What I believe this issue might be is a slight "bug" in the current version of Garmin Express - where the network (internet) stalls for a bit, and the "retry" portion of the program gets stuck.

I've sent a note to the software folks about this, but haven't heard back yet.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has helped answer your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)