Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

My GX60 is causing my GX480 and two portable GPSs to lose

Customer Question

My GX60 is causing my GX480 and two portable GPSs to lose the signal. Can you tell me what is going on?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the brand and model of the GPS?
Customer: GX60 is a Garmin, GX480 is a Garmin, GPSMAP 496 is a Garmin and Av8TOR Ace is a Bendix King
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Operating like normal. In trouble shooting, the signal came back to the GX480, GPSMAP 496 and Av8TOR Ace when the GX60 is turned off.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Turning off the GX60 causes all 3 other units to operate properly.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The GX60 is also transmitting intermittenly.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Rusty replied 22 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 22 days ago.

I have built radio towers, so I know how RF works. It sounds to me like the GX60 is taking over the antenna. When two broadcasts of the same channel battle, the stronger one wins. If they are on different antennas, you can separate them to lessen the interference.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
These are four separate Aviation GPS/NAV/COMM systems with independent wiring and antennas. They don't share anything but the 14 volt power supply.
Expert:  Rusty replied 21 days ago.

As I suspected... Your antennas are too close. Your GX60 has too strong of a signal, and is overpowering the GPS signal. You'll need to separate the antennas as far as you can. When broadcasting, the antenna should not be oriented the same direction as the receiving antennas, and should be as far away as possible from the receiving antennas. Remember, when there are two RF signals, the stronger one wins. They do not mix, it's one or the other that will be received. That is why you're losing your signal. The GX60 is taking over the airwaves, stronger than the signal that needs to be picked up.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
These pieces of equipment have operated successfully for over 13 years. The distance between antennas has never caused any interference prior to what has been happening in the last 2 weeks.
Expert:  Rusty replied 21 days ago.

Hmm, something with the electronics has gone haywire. Replace the GX60, and see if that fixes the problem. Since the other equipment works without the GX60, I don't think the rest of the system is bad. It sounds like a resistor in the unit went bad, causing it to output unusually high RF, which interferes with the antennas.