crash2199
crash2199, Technician
Experience:  10+ years
50836188

I just purchased a garmin approach g7 and took it with me to

Customer Question

I just purchased a garmin approach g7 and took it with me to play yesterday. The course downloaded OK but I could not seem to get the unit to give me distances to the hole during play. It clearly showed the hole layout and overall distances, but I could not tell where I was on the screen
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is brand new and it is a garmin approach g7
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. It found the course and the hole I was playing, but I could not tell how far I was from the hole.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. I'm not aware of any troubleshooting facility
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Basically I need to know how to operate it as the manual is very brief and not informative
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  crash2199 replied 30 days ago.

Hi Rob,

Do you mean it does not adjust to where you are on the course?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Hi Josh,
Correct. It shows the hole layout etc. but doesn't seem to indicate where I am on that hole, so I can't tell how far I am from the green. It also keeps reverting to 'preview'.
Expert:  crash2199 replied 30 days ago.

When you were on the course, did you use the "Begin measurement" option?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No. Is that necessary ?
Expert:  crash2199 replied 30 days ago.

Rob,

According to the manual, it is not designed to auto-adjust to your exact location on your course. You can measure shot distances from your last shot, etc but not auto track your location.

The Approach G10 has GPS and will measure your exact location along with distance to hole. You can take a look at it here: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=93356466&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:93356466:23989454-DSG:GOLF-ELECTRONICS_GPS-UNITS_GPS-UNITS&gclid=CjwKEAiAjIbBBRCitNvJ1o257WESJADpoUt0cEICp_bEsBAEaDStCfEWP0RwL6MqVhIIIqfEyG_7SRoCy33w_wcB

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  crash2199 replied 29 days ago.

I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as 3 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.