Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I purchased lifetime updates for my garmin nuvi265. i am

Customer Question

i purchased lifetime updates for my garmin nuvi265. i am trying to update it on my Mac and it says i need an sd card. I have a 4GB card installed but it says "this computer cannot read it"
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Ordered in 2005. It just says nuvi 265 W
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: sorry, not sure what you are asking.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: removed and reinstalled sd card. That card has been in the machine since I bought it and I assumed it was used in past updates, but i have no way of knowing if there is anything on that card.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know how to get latest update.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) Was this SD card purchased as NEW, or has it been in another device and is being reused ?

2) Do you have an SD slot or reader attached to your computer, and if so, can the card be seen in that slot/reader?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have decided to go buy new gps. Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 4 months ago.

You are quite welcome.

As a reference only, you may want to take a look at device listed on Amazon, as they tend to have the best prices, and this will also give you way to compare prices with any store you might find locally.

NOTE: This is the search results for a Nuvi LM model - which COMES WITH "Lifetime Maps".

Nuvi LM Search
http://amzn.to/1MM8ccC

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. You MAY want to "hang on" to the older device - as a backup or perhaps can "pass it on" to a friend or family member that needs such a device.