Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My garmin is not charging. I have had it for appox. 2 years

Customer Question

My garmin is not charging. I have had it for appox. 2 years now and there was never a problem. As the battery was low on Saturday I put it on the charger but it is now not working any more. I have tried a different cable and a different charger, but neither is a problem - they work for other devices so it has to be the actual Garmin.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a 510 and I had it for approx. 2 years.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing - I took the Garmin off my bike, it had 15% charge left and plugged it in. After a few hours, when I expected it to be charged fully, all I got was a blank screen and no response when pushing the on/off button.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None - what do you suggest I do?
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 29 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. This problem and many others are often the result of a "glitch" in the software. Resetting your device to Factory Default Settings via a "hard reset" will often resolve the problem.

To perform a master reset:

1. Power device off.
  2. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop.
  3. Power device on while still holding both buttons.
  4. Continue holding buttons when Garmin "splash" screen appears.
  5. Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 29 days ago.

Please click the link below to access a copy of the user manual for your device.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Edge_510_OM_EN.pdf

It is in pdf format. You can save it to your computer for future reference. Your device does have a user replaceable battery (for the heart rate monitor). If a factory reset does not resolve your issue, you may need to replace the battery. Illustrated instructions for doing so are on page 12. Do keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi, unfortunately my Garmin does not respond to this. I held the buttons down for over a minute but the screen remains blank.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 29 days ago.

I'm sorry that didn't work for you. I am going to "opt out"and open the question to other experts, as I am out of ideas.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. This is Aric a different expert here. If the battery is still not charging after using different charge cables, and after performing the master reset, then the battery itself is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

If you'd like to replace this yourself, the battery is available at the link below for purchase, and additionally there is a video on that page that outlines the battery-replacement procedure:

https://www.newpower99.com/Garmin_Edge_510_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/garmin-edge-510.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwqfvABRC6gJ3T_4mwspoBEiQAyoQPkZKIlgrgui0qnweh1wQZjWxovgyCNAnm86F6BM7P9r0aAmjh8P8HAQ

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 29 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 24 days ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.