Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

How do I inpu Lat position numbers into Garmin Home Port as

Customer Question

How do I inpu Lat long position numbers into Garmin Home Port as waypoints?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: i want to enter them into the Garmin program called Homp Port. I do n
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i am not talking about a pop up.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Let's start over. I have a program on my computer called Garmin Home Port. It can be used to enter data onto an DD card. Then the ad is used to import that data to the Garmin GPS unit. My question is how to manually input the waypoint coordinates into the program Home Port.
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not now
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The way to enter coordinates to create waypoints, is basically different from Apple computers, to PC-type computers. I am assuming you have a PC, below, but if you have an Apple computer, please Reply and tell me, so that I may give you the correct instructions:

Basically, open the Garmin HomePort program

go to Find

go to Locate Coordinates

Enter the coordinates

and then click on Create Waypoint

and there you are.

If you need other information, let me know, please.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That answer is perfect but time consuming. Since I have a bunch of waypoints to enter, is there a way to create a file of properly formatted waypoints and then import the entire file?

In other words, a batch-import of waypoints from another source of already-entered waypoints ?

If so, yes, there is such a means - with some waypoints files and some destinations.

What file of origin do you have, of waypoints?

Where do you want them to go, ultimately, please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would hope to be able to use something like excel or csv file to enter the waypoints into a list or file and then import them into Home Port. When done, I will write the Home Port User Data to an SD card and then install that into my Garmin. I know how to do the write, I just do not know how to enter multiple waypoints into a file format that Home Port will accept.

OK.

So, if I understand the situation correctly:

- you haven't entered the waypoints.

- you would like to type them into Excel or a CSV file

- then import them into the HomePort program.

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

OK.

Will you let me look into all the possible ways of doing so for awhile (plus other work I have to do) ?

(I will need to know whether you will be typing waypoints into a Windows PC, or an Apple computer, though, before I begin that research, please.)

Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am using an HP Elite Book with Windows 10 and MS Office Suite Pro.

OK, a Windows PC type computer.

Thanks... expect another posting within several hours.

Try this online tool:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

- load the page, and click on BROWSE button in the "Get Started Now!" box at the left.

- select your XLS or spreadsheet/Excel file, with the waypoints list in it, and then choose Output Format = GPX

and click on Map It.

That should create a GPX file.

HomePort can then import and read in the GPX file, and convert it / write it onto, and SD card, which you may then use to import the waypoints into your GPS... or other means than an SD card, e.g. if your model of GPS has a good capable connection to HomePort.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.