Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a nuvi 2555 lmt that doesn't want to power up and

Customer Question

I have a nuvi 2555 lmt that doesn't want to power up and when it does power up it shuts back down in a matter of minutes
JA: What model of Nuvi are you using? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2555lmt its about a 1 1/2 yr. old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It would show me it's powering downing by counting down. Also would show on the screen like if it didn't have connection of power
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just changed the connection for power but it didn't make a difference
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a nuvi 2555lmt and I got 3 of them and all of them are doing the same thing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Offhand it sounds like the Garmin may indeed have a hardware fault internally requiring service. However it would be worth trying a hard reset via Garmin.

Please plug the unit into the car's DC charge cable then turn the accessory in the vehicle ON, then press and hold the power button for 15 full seconds and release. Check and see if the Garmin welcome screen finishes rebooting and loads the maps. If not then let me know what exactly shows on the screen and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please first try that, and if the GPS still does not stay on then check the car end of the charger and let me know if the green light is lit on the plug in that fits into the vehicle. If it's not- then you have a failed fuse or faulty charger. Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but if you need further help please send a response.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will light up & go right back out
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm unavailable by phone and will be continuing with you on this page. Check the car end of the charger and let me know if the green light is lit on the plug in that fits into the vehicle. If it's not- then you have a failed fuse or faulty charger. Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Is the green light lit on the charger please, yes or no?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The car end is working fine. I can hear a click come from it just before it powers down
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Then you have a hardware failure in the GPS unfortunately which requires service via Garmin- unfortunately there are no other pushbutton attempts to fix this problem. You can setup an out of warranty repair ticket with Garmin at the link below if you'd like:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have 2 of them that does that and I got one that powers up but shows the screen dim & won't do anything else
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The reboot I posted above is the only one on a user level you can try I'm afraid. Beyond that they require repairs. That said, are you a DIY type and looking to disassemble and fix these yourself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I'll have to let someone else do that. It's out of my league