Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I just bought a Garmin FR70 watch and it is not calculating

Customer Question

Hi Michael, I just bought a Garmin FR70 watch and it is not calculating distance or calories during my walk / run. Do I have to wear the heart monitor in order for it to calculate distance & calories?
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Garmin FR70 model -- just bought at Trek store. Think the FR70 model itself is 2011
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: What popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing really. I don't know if it will calculate distance inherently without wearing the heart monitor. I certainly hope so
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all, thanks
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I don't think you have to wear the heart monitor for it to calculate distance - it is a GPS after all.

As for calories... I'm not so sure. Perhaps the heart monitor participates in calculating calories too.