Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Re: Garmin NUVI 40, Serial no2C4479639 I registered this

Customer Question

Re: Garmin NUVI 40
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Serial no2C4479639 I registered this unit after purchase it came with free maps for life please help me access map updates
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Sorry what do you mean
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Map update procedure
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried Garmin website but cannot find the desired area
JA: Anything else you want the gps expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Around 2012 seial no 2C4479639
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Does this answer your question? or not? either way, please let me know, so that I may either close this case, or help you further toward a solution. Thanks.