Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

When I touch a letter (for example and "A") the one beside

Customer Question

When I touch a letter (for example and "A") the one beside it gets used instead. This goes for all the letters...eg g=h t=y etc. How can I get this repaired?
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Tom Tom XL N14644
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: None. I figured it was your product~~why not contact you directly....always the best to go to the best.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing. I use the GPS a lot when I am travelling and now it's a big pain in my butt...lol
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

To fix this, the touchscreen will need to be recalibrated. This will involve creating a new calibration file.

To recalibrate it, press and hold the reset button on your unit briefly.

Next, press and hold the power button until the screen appears with white text on black background, then you can release the button. You will see a line on the screen that looks like this:

Touchscreen calib. data: 76 932 140 861

Beware! On THAT screen, the data is MinX MaxX MinY MaxY. Don't use that order when you create your cal.txt file! Anyway, this shows you where the unit calibration is by default if there is not any cal.txt file to change it., so you use this as a starting point for your adjustment. If your screen showed the numbers above, that would the same as if you had created the cal.txt file that looked like this: 932 76 861 140

You should create the file with Notepad or another very basic text editor that will allow you to create the file as BARE text and does not require line break at the end of lines.