Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of GPS devices and systems
32989067

I have two gps in my truck they both went down no reception

Customer Question

i have two gps in my truck they both went down no reception at the same time take them out of the truck they will come back up when i put them back in the truck they go down no reception had the same problem in january something in my truck cab causing this/ bought a rand mc mcnally in january it did the same thing when the garmins were down i have the truck for four years never a problem before january and 3 days ago. rand mcnally sucks dont even use it put it away but i have to have gps for my truck
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome Mitch

Did you add any new electrical devices to your Truck around the time this problem occurred?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, disconnect the power to the stereo and any electrical devices apart from the GPS units, then test if they now work.

There is interference on this so we need to eliminate what this is.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have thought of that and am going to do it next week when I have the truck at the shop I can't get in the shop till next week this problem has been told to my mechanic we were going to unhook the batteries and see if the problem was still there if that fixed it then we're going to reconnect batteries and if the problem came back were going to start pulling fuses till we found problem right now GPS will not work inside cab or sleeper key off or on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, I will mark this question to remain open if you have further issues, but it will be electrical interference thats causing this, unless you insulated or did something to the cab, this is the only cause. May be an issue in the engine with a solenoid or other component causing this but it will b something electrical.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't do anything until I get to the shop in case I have problems I can't fix my mechanic can do you have a direct way to contact you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this problem happens with the engine on or off key on or off Truck moving or not moving just tested it again with GPS is out of truck get signal put them in the cab labor no signal they get signal underneath aluminum trailer and completely underneath truck but no signal in cab or sleeper will contact you later do you have a direct way to get ahold of you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, they can contact me via this web page, on your account this comes direct to me.

But if it did work and nothing changed, then it has to be electrical interference for this.