Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

Do you charge me for a question/problem? Rand McNally

do you charge me for a question/problem?
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Rand McNally Tripmaker 7710. I'm away from home and not sure about the date of purchase...over 1 year, though
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Last evening I turned it problem...I entered a new address to travel to today...This a.m. it would NOT power on...and as yet will NOT power on.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've gone to their diagnostics site...they instruct to first turn on the GPC to begin...but it won't turnn on.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that there's nothing I can find on line to being troubleshooting...if the device will not turn on.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Try a "reset" of the GPS by taking the stylus and then press and hold the tiny pin-hole reset button on the side of the device for 6 seconds and release. Let me know if the screen comes up please and if not, we can proceed with a few more things.

If that does not work (no response at all), then please remove the car charger from the car's 12 volt socket and try another device in that socket (like a cell phone charger) and see if there is power from that jack.

If so, then please reinsert the GPS car charger tightly in the socket and also make sure the USB plug is inserted securely into the GPS itself.

If still no signs of life use the Home AC adapter/charger, plug the GPS into THAT charger and then try the pin-hole reset again. Let me know what happens.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Aric...since my car power cord did not work I hooked directly my gps to my laptop...still nothing. help
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I had earlier tried the reset with no success. Are you asking additional charges to talk by phone?

If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page only.

I'm sorry, but if you still don't have power plugged to the laptop AND YOU HAVE tried the reset again, then this indicates a faulty GPS.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Are you asking for more money?

Read what I posted please, I am not ASKING for anything.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I see amount of $26

I'm not asking about the phone, the site is doing that automatically. I am NOT available be phone anyhow so will be continuing here.

I am asking if you've tried the reset AGAIN with the GPS plugged into your PC.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Aric...what did I get for the $30 plus money so far, please. I'd like the phone, but don't want to spend more.

I don't know how else to explain it, but I am not privy in any way for billing or offers. I will opt out of the question now.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
This site appears "really scary" be trusted? I was just charged $30. plus to chat briefly with Aric (tech)
and received no help. He asked if I wanted to discuss further by phone (for an additional $26.) He said he
knew nothing of any charges...however, it appears clear that's what I was to be charged! Respond, please...I'm needing to have my GPS working for travel and have nothing for my money so far spent.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I see you called me this am, about 7:30 am EST. I tried a number of times to call your number(###) ###-#### back; however, it would not go through as a good number. I certainly, at this point, am
NOT a pleased customer, having given you over $50.00 and receiving nothing helpful to my GPS
problem. PLEASE either help to get my GPS working or RETURN my money in full. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
20 October 2016 08:15I see you called me this am, about 7:30 am EST. I tried a number of times to call your number(###) ###-#### back; however, it would not go through as a good number. I certainly, at this point, am

Different expert here.

May I ask:

1) Do you still need help with this unit?

1a) If so, can you tell me if you SEE the Battery Power Light come ON - when the device is connected to the vehicle power adapter AND the ignition is turned ON (in the vehicle)?

Hi again,

I see you MAY have seen my note (above), but I have NOT seen a response on this page yet.

So may I ask again:

1) Do you still need help with troubleshooting this unit?

Please let me know - so I can set aside some time for this troubleshooting process (or not).

Thanks, ***** *****

P.S. "Good Communication" is often the KEY to resolving issues like these.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Greg...this all is becoming quite
confusing. There is NO light coming on when I plug into dash 12v or when directly to my laptop.

If I may ask your FIRST name, that would be nice to know.

Back to the issue:

Do you have an "AC Adapter/Charger" available - that should have come with the system?

I only ask so we can TRY a different power source (computers are not always the best power source).

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Greg I'm traveling and do not have
that accessory with me. Larry

Hi Larry,

OK - that's understandable, and I assume you are traveling in an RV - since this is an "RV" GPS.

OK - have you CHECKED the FUSE - which SHOULD BE in the TIP of the vehicle power adapter?

I have attached an IMAGE of a vehicle power adapter - that should be similar to yours - for your reference.

Let me know if that one is like yours.

NOTE: You may have to click on the image NAME to see it.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I had not, Greg, since the green
light on the 12v adapter was lit. I
did now check the adapter fuse &
it is good.

OK - very good.

So we can NOW assume that the power is getting THROUGH the adapter cable - unless of course there may be some "damage" to the cable - causing an OPEN connection (short would have blown the fuse).

So can I assume that you have connected that power adapter and left it connected - for AT LEAST an hour or so?

The idea is to CHARGE the internal battery - for a "long enough" time - to be able to power up.

Also, may I ask your approximate current location (city & state is fine)?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thx, Greg...I'm RVing in Charleston,
SC, til Sat. AM....and Yes I have left
it plugged in several hrs. I'm truly a
"hands-on" guy, one reason this
puzzles me so.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Still with me, Greg?

You're welcome Larry.

I asked about your location to see if there is a "repair or exchange" facility somewhere close by, or perhaps "on the way" to your destination.

If you are NOT getting the battery indicator to come ON at all (either GREEN or RED), then there is most likely an internal HARDWARE issue. That could be a broken connector or electrical connection, or simply a "dead" battery - that is not taking a charge.

POSSIBLE solutions:

Find a relatively LOCAL "battery store" (Batteries Plus comes to mind) that MAY have a replacement battery that will work in the unit, and MAY be able to replace it for you.

Contact Rand McNally Technical Support, and ask them directly if they have ANY "repair/exchange" locations. I have their contact information below.

Technical Support: Monday - Friday, 7am to 6pm CST

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Greg...looks to be very good info/
advice. I will follow up on that. Are
you privy to any info as to what if
any charges have incurred to me?

Here is a link to a google map, with the search results for "batteries plus" in that area. You may want to give these places a call.

But if it was ME, I would go for the Support folks - at Rand McNally. They should have the MOST CURRENT information for the device AND their service locations.

And NO - we experts can not access ANY of your personal information - including charges. We are to direct you to "customer service" here - to answer ANY "site related" questions.

Please let me know if you have any more questions - about your device.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Greg A., Engineer
Experience: Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years