Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

After I downloaded into my Garmin the latest update, the

Customer Question

After I downloaded into my Garmin the latest update, the device is playing tricks on me!!! I type the name of my city, Lincoln, and up pops two choices neither of which is Lincoln! Also, I type in addresses and the device tells me that they can't be located when formerly (before the update) it worked perfectly. Help!!!
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: nuvi 205W series I'd guess it's ten years old....at least.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I downloaded the update.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Took it to Best Buy where they told me they didn't have the programs to troubleshoot nor fix.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

First, let me say that Ive dealt with this issue many times. We can fix this. I can actually guide you through fixing this yourself without any tools or special programs other then what garmin provides for that unit. Best Buy is a store that sells products, and unfortunately the entry requirements for working at the geek squad are a bit low.. Hence they couldnt help you with what is a simple fix.

So, lets discuss the fix.. Lets try an initial repair and if this doesnt work, dont lose heart. It sometimes takes two or three different repairs to fix this issue, so whatever happens good or bad please send a response so I can assist you further or so we can close this issue out as resolved.

So lets start here.

This is how to reset the device ( and this is a video that shows the same procedure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOpw98cSpU )

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5. You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
  6. Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
  7. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

1Although the master reset will erase all saved favorites, any loaded custom points of interest will remain intact on the device.

Once that is complete, let me know if you can now search for cities normally or if the issue still exists. Thank you,

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.