Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I am trying to update the maps on my Garmin Express. I have

Customer Question

I am trying to update the maps on my Garmin Express. I have followed the instructions on my Garmin and the computer tells me that it can't get a connection? I just had my computer cleaned and upgraded yesterday. I thought it might be a driver problem, but he checked and said no and that I should call Garmin, which I am doing. I have three updates that I am trying to get onto my Garmin.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Hold on while I check, please.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nuvi 2557. Right before what popped up?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried using a different USB cable and port and that didn't seem to make any difference. And, like I said, I asked the guy that cleaned and updated my computer to check and explained the problem. He said he couldn't find anything wrong with the computer to keep the Garmin from connecting and that I should call you.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just want to update my maps as I am leaving next month for a long trip and want to make sure it has the most up to date maps on it.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Cleaning up the computer or whatever problem was being cleaned up, may have affected your Garmin device's 'recognition' to the computer.

Here's an idea:

1. detach your Garmin device, turn it Off.

2. close Garmin Express.

3. uninstall Garmin Express from the computer.

4. restart your computer

5. re-install Garmin Express onto your computer again.

6. then with Garmin Express installed fully, and running, connect your Garmin device again.

See if that perhaps might get the process working! Let me know what happens, and I will advise you further as necessary.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'll try and let you know. Hang on.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

OK. I hope that clears up the problem.

Let me know how it goes - esp. if it works OK. Then I can close the case properly.

If it doesn't work at any point in those six steps, please let me know at once. I will assist further.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Never mind. I am going to call Garmin directly, which I thought I was doing here. Thanks, ***** ***** thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

I don't think that doing things otherwise will be faster, but it is definitely your choice to make.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.

(I'd be interested to hear how it turns out, however it goes.)

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I tried your way and it still didn't work! I want a refund on this since I didn't get any positive results, just extra work!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I have passed your refund request on to those who can handle it, since I have no power over billing and refunds myself.

Thank you for trying Good luck with the Garmin device.