Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a 1490 and when powered up I just get a screen with a

Customer Question

I have a 1490 and when powered up I just get a screen with a grid or something telling me to touch a dot, then it moves to another area with the same thing
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: about 5 yrs, but probably has less than 3 years use
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing, it was working yesterday
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none, I have no idea what to do with it
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Aric replied 11 days ago.

Hello, The Garmin has entered "calibration mode" and you simply need to keep hitting that dot where it lands up to 10 times and the GPS will then go back to normal.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think there is a cure for the problem: I have heard of your problem with the Garmin device before this, several times.

If, along with 'Press Dot' is also shows a black dot, then don't press it with your finger.... press it with the plastic tip or nub of a pen, and do so about 5 or 8 times, and it will resume normal operation.

The 'Press dot' cycle appears to be a screen calibration that runs after the battery has been removed in some circumstances, or otherwise in response to a crisis in the device that has been recovered from.

I hope this works for you. Please let me know (or at least, rate my answer, if what I suggest gets it working.) Thanks.

Expert:  Aric replied 11 days ago.

Sorry about the other expert posting. I was going to follow up to use a stylus or the back end of a pen to press that dot and again it must be done sometimes up to 10 times in order for the calibration to complete.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.