Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have a Garmin S2 golf watch and when I put it in the clip

Customer Question

I have a Garmin S2 golf watch and when I put it in the clip and plug it into my laptop for the first time it does not show that it is charging at all. What's wrong. Alex
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: S2 Its about 4 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Before what popped up
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I need direction what should I try and do
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 17 days ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

The things that I would try to troubleshoot this issue would be:

1) Cleaning the charge contacts on the device itself AND the charge clip - using a bit of alcohol and a q-tip. At the same time I would make sure the "spring contacts" on the clip actually move when gently pushed.

2) TEST that the USB port that you are connecting to actually is supplying power - by inserting a different device (such as a memory stick) and verifying that device works properly.

3) Use a DIFFERENT power source - such as a USB-Based charger (some cell phone or tablet chargers have this) or different computer

4) RESET the device and try any or all of the above again. I have the reset procedures below.

To Soft Reset the Approach:
- Press and hold Light/Power
- Wait until screen goes blank (approximately 10 seconds)
- Release Light/Power
- Press and hold Light/Power
- When the device powers on, release Light/Power

The Approach will now restart. If the device is still unresponsive, connect the watch to the computer and then follow the above steps again.

To Master Reset the Approach (S1 & S2):
- Power the Approach off (Press and hold LIGHT/POWER button until device powers off)
- Press and hold DOWN
- Release DOWN and LIGHT/POWER when screen displays Clear user data?
- Select Yes

The device should now be reset to default factory settings, and the device should function as expected

All of these things assume that the internal battery is still "good" and can take a charge.

If the battery is worn out, there is a service available to replace the battery. I have a link to that service below (via Amazon).

Approach S1/S2/S3 Battery Replacement Service (Amazon listing)
~$50 as of 09.15.16

I hope this helps. Please let me know your results or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 10 days ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I haven't seen a response on this page, so I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue OR if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-