Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I'm having trouble with my 730's screen. I can power up &

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with my 730's screen. I can power up & the screen display comes up but does not allow me to advance to my destination function. I took to Best Buy where I purchased my Tomtom & a Geek Squad tech stated that it was a screen issue & told me to ck any firmware updates.
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: It could be 4 to 6 yrs ago that I purchased but only used 5 or 6 times.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I only have the vehicle plug-in so I can't tell you the exact sequence but from memory the options shows up but then It won't allow me to go to the final destination option.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't tried any & the Geek tech told me to go ck the firmware.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of any. Thanks
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 19 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To do the firmware update you were recommended to do, simply take your computer, put Garmin Express software on it (instructions follow), and then start that software, and then connect your Garmin device to the computer with a USB cable, and then do the updating once the Garmin device is recognized by the software.

Here are the instructions:

Simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know whether that helps... or not. If not, I will have further advice to offer. If so, I will be able to close this case, if what I recommended helps. Thanks.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I don't have a connection from my Garmin 730 to my computer. I'll ask one of my friends if they have one & then proceed & keep you posted.Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that - I was referencing a USB port, which on a Garmin device is usually small and not rectangular.

Like this - the last 3 at the left, one of them anyway:

Let me know how my advice turns out, if it can be done. Thanks.