Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

We have a Garmin Nuvi 250 and, several years ago, we

Customer Question

We have a Garmin Nuvi 250 and, several years ago, we purchased the Lifetime Updater.
On a recent trip to the US, we attempted to use our Garmin in California. When I tried to enter California in the state/province section, as soon as I pressed 'C', the unit went to Connecticut and would not allow me to change.
Any ideas on how to correct this problem??
Thank you
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

Im well aware of this issue, and its common with the older nuvi devices.

The problem is it doesnt have enough internal memory to hold the entire US map.. And it sounds like you have just the East coast region loaded.

So we need to connect the Garmin to a computer that has the Garmin express program installed.

1. Connect a compatible Garmin device to the computer.
  2. Open Garmin Express.
  3. Select the Garmin device on the home page.
  4. Click Map Options
  5. Click Change Map
    • Click Change Map to choose a different map region
  6. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
  7. Click Continue

Once it loads and downloads the maps, it will let you click and select a different map region.. Such as West coast ( for California and west coast states )

if you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.