GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience supporting electronics of all kinds

While updating my 396 is sort of powers down with a banner

Customer Question

While updating my 396 is sort of powers down with a banner across the screen but the laptop thnks it has shut down. Running on battery.
JA: What's the make/model of your GPS unit? How old is it?
Customer: Sorry Garmin 396. Not sure abiut age It was uodated in Juy
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Does the same when I run the garmin webupdater. Says unknown error occured when it starts updating the software.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: restarted a few times. Does the same. Even tried the old method of updates. Also kicks me out as soon as i start transferring the file.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.....any help will be appreciated
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  GeekGal replied 22 days ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am sorry that you're having this problem. It would be my pleasure to help you. I see tht you've had to wait a bit for an answer. I'm sorry about that. It sounds as your Garmin software may have somehow been corrupted. There is an easy fix for this although you will lose any customized features or prior flight data in the GPS. To fix this you need to do a "Master Reset" by starting the GPS while holding a particular set of keys. Hold down the Out, Quit, and Nrst buttons while turning the unit on. If the unit does not respond after a few minutes, release the 3 buttons and re-boot.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 22 days ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have done as mentioned. How long does the reboot take. It sits with the 396 screen but at a low brightness.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 22 days ago.

The reboot should only take a few minutes. If it is sitting at the 396 screen it may have a hardware issue. However, just to be sure, please try the rest procedure again, and this time hold those keys down for at minimum of 40 seconds. Use a timer if you have one handy to be sure that you wait long enough. Please let me know the results.