Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of GPS devices and systems

Thank you, i have a Garmin zumo 660, BMW Mottard 4 version I

Customer Question

Thank you, ***** ***** a Garmin zumo 660, BMW Mottard 4 version I bought we i bought city navigator west Africa NT and an 8g sd card. When i try loading to the sd card it stats loading and stop several times. I use Mackbook pro, so i asked garmin support and they give me below advice which i followed without succes.
JA: What is the exact model of your Garmin? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: hank you for contacting Garmin Europe.I am happy to help.To start with please follow the instructions below to make sure the SD card is set up properly.Mac OS X:Open Spotlight (CMD + SPACE on the keyboard)
Type Disk Utility (in Spotlight search box)
Press Return on the keyboard
Click the parent icon for the SD card in the sidebar on the left (the parent icon is the one that is not indented)
Click on the Erase option on the right
In the Format drop down menu, select MS-DOS (FAT)
In the Scheme drop down menu, select Master Boot Record (Mac OS X 10.11+)
In the Name field, type a name/title for the SD card (Do not leave the name as "Untitled")
Click Erase
These steps will format the microSD/SD card to be readable by the Garmin device.Then please follow these steps to download your maps.To begin the download:Insert a microSD/SD card into the GPS device if necessary2
Connect the GPS device to the computer
Go to and sign in
Click the myMaps tab
Click Add to Device next to the purchase
Install Garmin Communicator Plugin3 if prompted
Select the device that will be associated with the purchase
If the device has insufficient space, click More Options and select the SD card as the download location
Click Continue
Click Accept Agreement
Most downloadable content contains large files and can take several hours to complete. Once the download is finished, it is ready for use on the device. If the purchase was downloaded to the microSD/SD card it must remain in the device.
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. tried it on windows with same results, difference is that it reaches 45% downloading on windows computer before dropping.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That s it
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 24 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

When the update fails, can you tell me if it gives an error message or it just disconnects?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Reaches 48% sometimes and just drop or hang and show downloading but not doing so. in some cases connection lost.
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

It points to either a faulty card or internal memory on the unit.

Can you get a different SD card, copy the contents to it from the other SD card and tell me if that then updates please.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
ok will try that, the garmin unit come with a preloaded map so doesn't have space, the sd card is a new empty 8gig card, which contents are you referring to
Expert:  Richard replied 21 days ago.

Ok, if it is empty then there is no content to copy over, so try a different card please.