Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years

I have GARMIN GPSMAP 700 on my boat. It started showing the

Customer Question

I have GARMIN GPSMAP 700 on my boat. It started showing the map incorrectly, off by approximately 100-200FT. For example, it would show the boat position over land, show saved tracks over land etc. Is there a way to adjust/reset the GPS maps or what can be done to correct this problem? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would advise you first of all, to dismount the Garmin from your boat, and take it to a computer.

Then get Garmin Express onto the computer (it works on both Apple and Windows PC, in different versions meant for each one, specifically.)

When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.

Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.

Let me know how that goes, please. If it works, I can close this case if you let me know. If it doesn't get the device working properly, let me know in that event, and I will have further suggestions for the problem. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try that tomorrow when I get to my boat and let you know.

By all means, Sergei. I'll be pleased to hear about how it goes, by and by. Let me know tomorrow or as convenient... and you can get back to this case at

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
By the way, what cord should I use to connect the devise to my PC? I have MAC

A USB cable with an end fitting a USB port at the computer end (rectangular or 'flat' ended) and the other end fitting the USB port on your Garmin device (probably a mini-USB, very small).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Russell, I looked at the manual - see attached. There is no USB port or any other port that I can connect my PC to. Is there any other way to update the devise or other solution to the map correctness? Sergei

OK, I see, and I agree. I'm sorry I recommended the wrong procedure for this model line.

This type is updated by a somewhat less 'instant' process, which involves ordering a special SD memory card, to insert in the GPSMap's memory card slot, to do the update with.

tells some things about the process of updating.

It also seems to indicate that you can produce an SD card for the updating yourself, perhaps.